Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Finally Ordered my 818C kit

Post Thanks / Like

Finally Ordered my 818C kit

Hi,
    I've been lurking around here for a year now, reading and learning from a lot of you folks. My wife said that I had to pay cash for this kit, so I took a teaching job to save up the $$.
    I am a Ford guy by history, but I like the 818 concept. My kid is giving me his 2007 WRX as a donor (after buying a BRZ to replace it)!
    Hopefully I can incorporate many of the ideas that you have shared (AZ Pete's comfort mods), Bob's braking, front fuel tank), Zero Decibel parts (hood hinges, MR2 shifter mods, 6 speed linkages), and many others.

Plan:
    Built short block by Tuned In Concepts, rebuild heads
    6 speed trans already ordered with STI hubs/axles/brembos on 114.5 hubs
    Aluminum LCAs
    Have a Mazda brake booster (going with power brakes, anti-lock, square braking). (I plan to redrill brake pedal lower, instead of higher to lower ratio)
    Have Fiat door handles
    I'm going to go out there and say dual turbos (very small, with crossover headers to compensate for the on/on-off/off firing order to somewhat equalize putts).

Anyhow. Thanks to all of you for helping me along by reading both positive and negative experiences in your own journeys.
    Screenshot_20190830-153428.jpg

2. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome into the fold. Have as much fun as you can stand. Cash up front was the rule here too. Looking forward to your turbo plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    I plan to do this with my 3 sons that are still in school (I have 3 older sons). Kids nowadays no nothing about changing a tire, definately nothing about what makes mechanical things run.
    I see that you are in Indiana. I am in Seymour Indiana, down in the southern part of the state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I am SO ENVIOUS doing your build with 3 sons! By the time I started my first build, a FFR roadster, my son and daughter were both married with kids, dogs and a mortgages so my timing was too late. Have fun building with the boys.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    I plan on doing a lot of things that you pioneered (A/C, power steering, smashing interior). I appreciate your efforts clearing a path for the rest of us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome that you're getting started on a C! Warning on the Miata booster though, I think the NC master cylinder I used is too small. I'm trying a different Mazda Speed 3 setup to see if it's better. I'll update if it's successful

Post Thanks / Like
    I had thought about that too. If I run Brembo 4-pots on all wheels, I may not have enough fluid to power them. If I use the (small) miata booster, mated to a larger Mazda master cylinder it may work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fold
    Looking forward to your mods too
    If you can get the kids to help you're going to be done in no time

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Indiana owner!
    I think that kids double completion time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the kids involved. Best part of the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m in Indiana too