Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Can I pre-drill all panels before anything else?

Post Thanks / Like

Can I pre-drill all panels before anything else?

I got my 25th Anniversary kit however it is missing so many parts there really is not much I can do at the moment. I was shocked how much stuff I did not receive on this order. I hate to see it just sit there. I am missing at least one part or more from every major sub assembly in my kit. Though very disappointing I would like to move forward. I am told it will be weeks till I get brakes and no idea about the dozens of other parts I am missing. My thought was to do the panel work because it is the only subassembly that I am not missing a part to...or at least I don't think I am.

Can I add all the panels to the frame with Cleco fasteners so that the holes are all done and ready to rivet as the time comes to add each panel?

Also what panels other than the F panels can I rivet now while waiting?

Thanks for the advice,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that's disappointing. My 25th is suppose to arrive late this week....

Look at wareaglescott's build, I believe he drilled out all the panels when he removed them. That's kinda my plan too.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't rivet anything yet honestly. There is no rush. There are a thousand holes to drill in the meantime. Some people seem to drill as the panels come off but pay attention to the position of the panel and how they line up. They are only roughly in the correct spots on shipping and do require some more exact placement. My method, as hordes of other people have done before me, was to:
    1: position and mark panels paying attention to spots you cannot get a rivet gun to.
    2: mark, center punch and drill panel off frame.
    3: Deburr.
    4: Replace to frame, clamp and drill through holes in panel.
    5: deburr frame and panel as needed.
    Clecos are your best friends for awhile.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I always run brake lines, fuel lines and all the wiring before I ever attach a panel to the car.
    Frank

5. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    x 3, I would wait to rivet the panels in place. There is a lot you can do without them in place and have more working room.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do exactly what you want to do, no issues. also here is a list of some other things you can do in the mean time.
    Drill out the holes in the IRS pumpkin and install if you have it
    knock out the studs in the IRS hubs and install new ones
    assemble wind wings and sun visors
    install and drill roll bars
    build headlights
    install pump and fuel level in tank.
    build your dash with gauges
    build your shocks if you have them

Lots of little things you can do to move your project forward.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do all those but from your list I only have the headlights....I seriously am missing that many parts that the panels are about all I can work with at the moment.

I am not planning on riveting the panels, just drilling lining them all up and drilling them.

Thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just looking to predrill them. Clecos will definitely be helpful in getting everything lined up. Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was very shocked. I thought this would be the ultimate kit but it seems like it was a last second idea to put these together. My kit sat at Factory Five for an extra 3 weeks after the completion date they listed so its not like there wasn't time to complete much more of this kit. The brakes wouldn't arrive for a couple more weeks because they are being done in a big batch, so I am told. Not sure why that didn't happen in July when they were creating this kit. Either way I will eventually get all the parts but this certainly isn't what I expected for a first kit let a lone an anniversary kit.

Hope you have better luck. I may just be the rare case on the parts issue. Other than the brakes, I have not been told when any parts will arrive so I will predrill some panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kits arriving with part shortages has been discussed a lot. Probably it should be made clearer during the order/pay process, since it's logical that since you're required to make 100% payment you will get 100% of the parts with your kit delivery. But that's not the case obviously. With your kit delivery you received the Parts Order List (POL) which lists every part they still owe you. Sometimes the list is relatively short. Other times not. My 20th Anniversary Roadster kit POL was nearly two pages. Sounds like you're in a similar place. The good news is Factory Five is normally diligent to get those parts to you. In multiple builds, I've only had POL items beyond the first month or two for very specific reasons. Typically relating to a vendor. The Wilwood brakes for my 20th Anniversary kit were six months after delivery. Totally Wilwood's fault and I was able to work around and not hold up the build. But still reflected badly because I did pay for them long before received.

My strategy for dealing with the POL is the following: First, I assume you've done a complete inventory. I mean every nut, bolt, screw, washer, bracket, etc. checked off the box-by-box inventory list you received with your kit. Given the number of parts, it's not particularly unusual that something might be missing, wrong, or in my case a couple times I've found that a part supplied had a defect. Second, I put all the POL items plus any missing or part issues into a spreadsheet and monitor their progress in detail. I've had great success with sending the spreadsheet to a contact at Factory Five and getting a promised ship date or status for each item. I'd start with the person you worked with for your kit purchase. Third, update your list with the status info and close out as parts are received. Request updates on a regular basis. I'm predicting you'll see the list shrink quickly in a month or two.

Meanwhile, yes as others have responded, there are several things you can do. You may not have enough parts to close out various major assemblies as you've said. But with a little thought and planning, I'll bet you can stay busy as the parts are received. I always have been. Drilling and clecoing panels alone can take a significant amount of time. I wouldn't rivet anything without brake lines, fuel lines, and at a minimum the rear electrical harness installed. Building your dash and gauges is another good project. You could also start some body work if that's something you're planning to do. Cleaning, trimming, and straightening the edges of the main body piece takes some time. At least it does for me.

I always tell people when further down the road, and especially once your build is complete, you'll completely forget about the POL process. You did buy a premium version of the kit and you'll love the final result. But up front, especially when anticipation and expectations are high, the POL can be disappointing. Don't let it discourage you. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-07-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

12. Likes MSumners, Boydster, ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious as to why the Wilwood brakes would take so long. Just looks like they have different writing on the brakes. How long can that take to make 25 of those? Maybe I'm missing something.
    And really, I'd take the regular ones for my 25th, don't really see them anyways.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    I am curious as to why the Wilwood brakes would take so long. Just looks like they have different writing on the brakes. How long can that take to make 25 of those? Maybe I'm missing something.
    And really, I'd take the regular ones for my 25th, don't really see them anyways.
    Yes, they're the same as the upgraded Wilwood front and rear IRS brakes, introduced with the 20th Anniversary Roadsters. Just with special marking. Much like the 20th versions I have that didn't have special marking but were a custom color. You'd have to ask Wilwood why they spent 6 months making those. The special marking may not be important to you, but regardless they are pretty visible. Standard Halibrands you can see them quite clearly. If you ordered the special bronze wheels they're offering for the 25th, even more visible. Unless you're trying to complete the entire build in record time, the brakes aren't going to hold you up. Complete suspensions and most everything else can be completed without them.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ...Complete suspensions and most everything else can be completed without them...
    Unless the springs are also on the 25th Anniversary P.O.L.

Not that I would know anything about that

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that mine (not a 25th) arrived today without springs, headers, gas tank, radiator or upper/lower control arms.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having done this for a LONG time, Drill baby Drill. DO NOT RIVET. We drill as many panels as we can once the kit arrives, hours and hours of mark panel drill panel drill steel frame. Repeat.

We see this a lot, so DO NOT install any panels unless there is absolutely no choice, and for sure do not install a panel to 'get something done' We go cart with drivers and passenger foot box front and inside installed, and that is about it. Really easy to find leaks or electrical issues without anything is way. Easy to put transmission mount in without floor pans in the way. AND The body guy will love you if you leave the F panels off. So much easier to adjust hood with them off.

If working on something and there is a question of will it be in the way? put the panel in with Cleckos and make sure it is not.

HTH, Richard. JMHO
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

18. Likes RSCamaro liked this post