Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rusis MK4 Roadster Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Rusis MK4 Roadster Build Thread

Hi guys,
    Today I went to go pick up my MK4 from the factory. My Dad and I are going to be building it with the help of my brother and cousin. I am excited to get started on the process of building the kit. When doing the parts check, should I go through bolt by bolt or just check off the bigger parts? I am sure more questions will come up as I start the build.

My build:

MK 4 complete kit
    Powdercoating roadster chassis
    302-351 engine/trans mount kit
    31 spline 11.25" driveshaft
    Body cut-outs
    Box 9d low back vintage race seats
    Power steering components w/ complete kit
    3 link deluxe rear suspension
    15x8/9 lug halibrand replica wheels
    Wind wings
    Sun visors
    MK 4 Chrome roll bar passenger and driver
    Side louvers
    Center dash supports
    Performance 11.65" rear brake set

IMG_3524.jpgIMG_3521.jpg
    Last edited by Rusis; 03-21-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: update signature line

Post Thanks / Like
    Every bolt.
    It will save you from getting held up later on and it’s good to know all of the parts up front.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

3. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

5. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good tips on the thread gauges!

- Make copies of your POL lists, and tape the appropriate sheet to the box. It'll save a lot of time looking for things, and you can scratch off what's not in the box anymore.
    - Save several lengths of the packing paper sheets. They're great for wrapping/protecting the aluminum panels, and making templates.
    - A couple of "Paint Pens". Put a daub of paint on each bolt/nut that's been final torqued or tightened.
    - A couple of "High-Lighter" pens and a pack of the "Sign Here" type of paperwork flags. Draw a line through each assembly step if it's completed, or flag the page if you have to go back.
    - Another inexpensive but very valuable tool - Deburring Tool The edges of the panels can be sharp.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

7. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and thanks for posting. I look forward to following along with your build. Sounds like you have a good group helping you. I know you are going to have a blast.
    -Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 03-21-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

9. Likes Rusis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice and I will make sure to keep the project as organized as possible. Today after doing the parts inventory, I want to start working on the disassembly of the body but I haven't finished my body buck yet. Is the body fine for a day or two without being on a buck or should I place it back on the frame after I am done working?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusis View Post
    Thanks for the advice and I will make sure to keep the project as organized as possible. Today after doing the parts inventory, I want to start working on the disassembly of the body but I haven't finished my body buck yet. Is the body fine for a day or two without being on a buck or should I place it back on the frame after I am done working?
    It will be fine, set it on the floor, in the yard, where ever. A day or two is not going to hurt it. I've heard of people leaving it in their back yard for years... Welcome to the fun. 2x the inventory part. I recommend keeping everything in the original box and as POL items come in, put them in the box they were originally supposed to be in if possible.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge...

FYI, when you can, update your signature line with some info about your build. Ie. Engine, suspension info, etc. It will help others help you...

And most of all... HAVE FUN...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

12. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't agree more on doing the inventory and keeping things organized. One mistake I made was not realizing that sometimes there are parts in a bag inside another bag. A few of them weren't marked as such and I concluded I was missing parts as I went through the inventory.

Enjoy the build, it's actually a lot of fun!

Where are you located?
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

14. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have to stack the boxes on top of one another to save time, as you are doing inventory write the main parts inside and the bag numbers on the side of the box with a sharpie so you can see it when stacked. This saved me a lot of searching and unstacking.

Something I started about 4 months in that I wish I had started out with is keeping a small ring bound book for notes. There will constantly be things to remember to do later and you should keep it all in one place (ie. torque this or that bolt, etc)

Agree on the thread checker, I constantly use this.

Try to look ahead and be prepared for the next step but at the same time don’t buy things too prematurely , ie—> battery/tires.

Every hour spent reading other build logs will save you time but cost you 2x in upgrades!

Welcome and enjoy the process.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

16. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great thanks for the help. I will, but I think I have to have ten posts before I can update my signature. I will make sure to do my research. Does anyone have a digital spreadsheet of the parts list to be able to look up parts? I know not all the parts are the same, but it would help. I am located on the North Shore of Boston.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have put together the upper and lower control arms on both sides and have installed all of the brakes disks and calipers. Tomorrow I will be installing the rear axle along with the pedal box. I will post pictures later on the progress I have made so far. I am going for a classic look on the car and am wondering what company makes good radial retro style good year eagle tires and what size I would need for 15 in halibrand replica wheels?