Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Body Chassis- centering.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Body Chassis- centering.

Well I installed the body onto the chassis this weekend. After 2-3 hrs attempting to get centered. I noticed that the Passenger side bumper mounts are center to the holes in body, But the drivers side are centered left to right ( well almost), the top hole is sitting on the upper bolt, the bottom one is high on the lower bolt. This seems as though the closest i will get it for now. See Pics 902-906. So then i to get the doors on to see how they fit and this is not good. It seems as though the door is forward of the door opening in the body see pics 0923,0916, 0913 and 0911. Also I have the door mounted as far rear on the hinge. The Drivers door is closer. So it seams as though the body is twisted. Any suggestions on how to remedy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say there is a good chance you don't have the body far enough forward. Show us a photo of the Jeffbody in relation to the door striker tabs.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I'd say there is a good chance you don't have the body far enough forward. Show us a photo of the Jeffbody in relation to the door striker tabs.

Jeff
    I think we can all say we don't want any Jeffbody pictures posted here.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    IMG_0932[1].JPG Passenger SideIMG_0935[1].JPGDriver side
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The Body needing to move forward about 1/8~ is what i am thinking. But the rear of body is all the way against the Bubble seal on the lower trunk aluminum. Also should i cut/trim the 5.5" spacer tubes that go between the body and the chassis in the rear? Possibly both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmcallahan View Post
    The Body needing to move forward about 1/8~ is what i am thinking. But the rear of body is all the way against the Bubble seal on the lower trunk aluminum. Also should i cut/trim the 5.5" spacer tubes that go between the body and the chassis in the rear? Possibly both?
    I would recommend not using any supplied spacer tubes until you get the body where it needs to be and then if you still want to use them, trim the tubes to fit the body placement. You can also trim the rear lower edge of the trunk aluminum a bit to get the body forward.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

8. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I would recommend not using any supplied spacer tubes until you get the body where it needs to be and then if you still want to use them, trim the tubes to fit the body placement. You can also trim the rear lower edge of the trunk aluminum a bit to get the body forward.
    I will look at trimming the lower edge of the trunk aluminum. Do you know how far forward is the body to the door strike tabs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmcallahan View Post
    Do you know how far forward is the body to the door strike tabs?
    I really can't tell what you have by your photos but this one from Mark Eaton shows it well.

You want a good solid 1/4" or more. Is the roll of the cowl contacting the dash and preventing you from being able to move the body farther forward? It generally needs to be cut back. Every once in a while I have to trim the rearmost lip of the trunk aluminum but not often. If you toss the inner rear spacers into your junk box and use my coupler mod life will be easier.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, sorry for the messed up pics. The roll of the cowl is not stopping the body from moving forward. I trimmed the lower trunk aluminum and now have about 1/4" of forward movement. Now the body is 1/4" forward of the strike mount plate on the driver's and passenger side.IMG_0962[2].JPG
    Last edited by Kmcallahan; 03-17-2020 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Add pics

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I have the body forward enough now. I trimmed the lower trunk aluminum and the aluminum on both sides of trunk 1/4". I have 1/4" or space between the roll of the cowl and dash, with out trimming.IMG_E0977[1].JPGIMG_0976[1].JPG. Should I move forward any more? Is it necessary? If I do not need to move body forward anymore i will start fitting the Trunk, Hood and doors.