BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Free donor car, yes it is possible!

Post Thanks / Like

Free donor car, yes it is possible!

Thought this title might draw some attention. But it's true. Found this totaled 03 WRX in Ohio that was rear ended but still drivable. Guy wanted 4k but took 3k cash. Said he was tired of kids wanting it but with no money. He was happy to hear I was building an 818 with it, wished he could of done the same. Anyway had 166K mi and I sweat bullets driving it back to Indiana. Never had a timing belt change!
    So to make a long story short, sold parts I didn'T need for over 3k and used the money to rebuild the engine and buy wheels and tires. Took some time but sold most all the parts thru WRX forum and Craigs list. Have less than 20k in this little rocket ship includind paint.
    Happy building, you can finish too, just takes patience and perseverance. 3500 mi of fun cruisin to date.

2. Likes Mitch Wright, jeanf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to hear stories like this. Patience is the most important thing when doing a budget build.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not an 818 story but something similar.

I bought our donor, a ‘93 5.0, for $80. Traded the wiring harness for some door panels, sold the engine for $500 and found a few dollars in loose change and a like new Leatherman tool when I stripped the interior.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue