Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: How to set ride height

Post Thanks / Like

Question How to set ride height

Hi all,
    I am ready for go-cart now. The manual says to set ride height but does not say HOW to do it. So, I am hoping there are some posts to help me.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jeff
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get the ball rolling for you: you set the ride height by adjusting the collars on the coil over dampers. The key is to ensure that you adjust them all the same so your car is at the same height at each corner. Jack it up a bit and then you can rotate the collar either up or down to set the height. Screwing them down, obviously, makes the car sit higher. I'm pretty sure that others will add more here...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Method I use, learned via this forum quite some time ago:

1. With suspension hanging, turn all four adjusting collars until they just touch and hold the springs in place.
    2. Lower the car. Bounce up and down a couple times. Even roll it back and forth a little. Idea is to make sure the suspension is settled.
    3. Measure ride height front and back.
    4. Jack car back up, and turn each front and rear pair side-to-side exactly the same amount, e.g. both fronts two turns, or both rears three turns, or whatever. Doesn't have to be the same front to back, but always the same side-to-side. Typically after step 1, the ride height will be too high and you have to loosen them.
    5. Repeat 2, 3 and 4 until desired ride height is achieved. You'll want it to be 1/2-inch or so high at first on a new build because it will settle.
    6. You may find when done that side-to-side isn't 100% exact. Within reason, it's OK. Don't adjust just one side or the other based on ride height measurement alone.

The other method for setting ride height is via corner weights. A scale is put under each tire and adjusted accordingly. Most important for a track car. Not so critical for a street car. Note on my #8674 build, I used the method above to set ride height. Later had occasion to borrow a corner weight system. It was so close no further adjustments were necessary.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Likes Drezx6r, JimStone liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Thank you for info

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Method I use, learned via this forum quite some time ago:

1. With suspension hanging, turn all four adjusting collars until they just touch and hold the springs in place.
    2. Lower the car. Bounce up and down a couple times. Even roll it back and forth a little. Idea is to make sure the suspension is settled.
    3. Measure ride height front and back.
    4. Jack car back up, and turn each front and rear pair side-to-side exactly the same amount, e.g. both fronts two turns, or both rears three turns, or whatever. Doesn't have to be the same front to back, but always the same side-to-side. Typically after step 1, the ride height will be too high and you have to loosen them.
    5. Repeat 2, 3 and 4 until desired ride height is achieved. You'll want it to be 1/2-inch or so high at first on a new build because it will settle.
    6. You may find when done that side-to-side isn't 100% exact. Within reason, it's OK. Don't adjust just one side or the other based on ride height measurement alone.

The other method for setting ride height is via corner weights. A scale is put under each tire and adjusted accordingly. Most important for a track car. Not so critical for a street car. Note on my #8674 build, I used the method above to set ride height. Later had occasion to borrow a corner weight system. It was so close no further adjustments were necessary.
    Thank you so much,
    It is an iterative process as I suspected. Your info helps me a lot.
    Thanks again,
    Jeff
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent info. Just to add, while it may be obvious to most, you measure from the bottom of the tubular frame to floor.

Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would ad just one step. When you do the initial setting like EdwardB says just touching the springs I also like to count the # of threads visible beyond the collar. Since not many have the ability to check corner weights I trust FFR welded the frame correctly. So you want the same # of threads on the left as the right. Front and rear will usually be different but left should = right.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I'll get the ball rolling for you: you set the ride height by adjusting the collars on the coil over dampers. The key is to ensure that you adjust them all the same so your car is at the same height at each corner. Jack it up a bit and then you can rotate the collar either up or down to set the height. Screwing them down, obviously, makes the car sit higher. I'm pretty sure that others will add more here...
    You mean compressing the spring makes the car set higher. some shocks, such as the double adjustable Koni's, the adjusting collar is below the spring, not on top of the spring.
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dhuff View Post
    You mean compressing the spring makes the car set higher. some shocks, such as the double adjustable Koni's, the adjusting collar is below the spring, not on top of the spring.
    Yes. I wrote my comments based on my setup. Here's an old photo that shows it, more or less:

My dampers have a single collar, above the spring. Effectively, you are compressing it, but in actuality, you're raising the damper body relative to the spring.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw in your car description that you have sway bars. Be sure they are disconnected on one end when you do any adjusting on your shocks.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull81 View Post
    I saw in your car description that you have sway bars. Be sure they are disconnected on one end when you do any adjusting on your shocks.
    oh didn't realize this!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 2X4 blocks that I cut at increasing length. So I have blocks that are 4", 4.25", 4.5", 4.75" and 5". They act as a go/no-go, rather than trying to get a measuring rule of some kind in-between the frame and the ground. The other thing to remember is to do your measuring on a flat level surface.

Frank

13. Likes Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    I use 2X4 blocks that I cut at increasing length. So I have blocks that are 4", 4.25", 4.5", 4.75" and 5". They act as a go/no-go, rather than trying to get a measuring rule of some kind in-between the frame and the ground. The other thing to remember is to do your measuring on a flat level surface.

Frank
    great idea, I have a wedge I use for my formula car, that way I can slide it under my measurement point. Always make sure you measure at the same spot, and as was noted in another post, level flat surface and is great if you can always put your car in the same place every time. I have to put plywood sheets under my tires due to the garage slope to get a level surface, and this can affect the measurements as well. My garage floor has a center crown that I have to be aware of as well so there can be some environmental things to consider when doing this.
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    I never go anywhere without my trusty ride height gauge https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qcr-56-108
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut a painter's wooded stir stick to my desired ride height. If there's a gap between the car and floor, the car is too high. If the stick don't fit, it's too low. I made the adjustments with 200 pounds of bricks in the drivers seat and half a tank of gas.

Then I borrowed some corner weight scales. I found someone willing to lend them to me by putting out a post on a local Face Book track car group.

Then I got a final alignment with me sitting in the seat.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 02-10-2024 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_20231214_133451_244.jpgIMG_20231214_140436_563.jpg

I set my initial ride height with (3) 2x4 pieces of wood. Works out to be 4.5 inches.

For the corner weighting at the end I plan to get 4 scales from Amazon (rated to 550lb or 600 lbs). Should be about $100.