Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Under door aluminum panels

Post Thanks / Like

Under door aluminum panels

I'm installing the under door aluminum panels and wondering how well I can seal them off with silicone. If the body had to come back off for some reason would you have to remove the panels before the body would come off?

Thanks
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    The under door aluminum panels go on last after paint and final body position. The body needs to be pulled out in spots and tucked in tight in others to make the doors align properly. My aluminum panels took a bit of trimming to get them to sit just right. They are riveted to the frame but I did not use any adhesive between them and the fiberglass body. If the body needs to come off the only thing that may have to be pulled back is a little carpet that may have glued to the body in a couple spots. Pretty sure you can spread the body sides enough to clear if needed for removal. Hope this makes sense.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CDXXVII . Driver side slight trimming. Passenger side took a lot of trimming. No silicone between panel and body. Now moving on to front/side radiator panels. They don't fit at all. 1 1/2 inch gap at bottom of radiator between side panel and face of the radiator. May have to fab new panels.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    The factory five radiator surround panels are a mystery. I've been told they are made that way to accommodate a donor radiator. I finally gave up and made my own. Best thing is to use card stock to mock up the panels. You can use the FFR parts as a general guide.

Here is the best picture I can find of mine. Picked up a few bugs and dirt on this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    Thanks CDXXVII . Driver side slight trimming. Passenger side took a lot of trimming. No silicone between panel and body. Now moving on to front/side radiator panels. They don't fit at all. 1 1/2 inch gap at bottom of radiator between side panel and face of the radiator. May have to fab new panels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Also trying to plan ahead if (when) I ever remove the body. I made the door sills removable. I glued the carpet piece to the aluminum panel sill, and attached it with machine screws (8-32 I think) into the chassis/frame using nut certs.

As for the radiator shroud, I also couldn't get the FFR panels to fit, so made my own. I have a stainless mesh and honeycomb radiator protectors that I had to fabricate mounts for. I didn't like the way the 'square' mesh looked, so I fab'd it up in a semi- trapezoidal shape to match with the side shrouds. Hard to explain, maybe the pictures make sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    Take a look at Mike Eversons radiator panel. One piece fill the opening & seals it to the radiator for good air flow.

The top piece between the struts in the picture is from Breeze & seals the top of the intake to the body. With the two pieces 100% of the air coming in the front opening passes through the radiator.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-08-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15