BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trailer Tie Downs - Chassis or Tire Tie Downs?

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Tie Downs - Chassis or Tire Tie Downs?

What kind of car trailer tie down do you guys recommend?

I've trailered my car for short distances using chassis hooks crossing to the trailer tie down rings front and back.

However, I'm looking to buy new straps for a long haul from Vermont to North Carolina and see a lot of the tire straps which allows the chassis to float.

So, again, what kind of tie downs are you happy with and why?

Thanks, George
    Last edited by GWL; 09-07-2019 at 04:34 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most racers tie down the chassis to limit the wear on the suspension. When factory cars are delivered to dealerships the transport companies typically use the chassis tie down method. About the only time I see the wheel tie down method is short haul tow companies, even then I've seen a lot of them tie down the chassis.

Me, I tie down the chassis. Besides less wear on the suspension, the springs help to keep the tie-downs tight over the long haul.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought E tracks and use tire tie downs. so nice not to have to crawl under the car looking for tie down points. Bought everything from E-trailer.com
    Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Funny you should ask this question because I dragged my car to a show last night since I'm still in Test Mode and Not Street Legal Yet so I guess that makes me one of those Trailer Queen Dudes.

I use the tire straps shown below, purchased via Amazon, and use my winch with a bridle for the frame up front and a ratchet strap out back which hooks the to the frame. In addition, my car has a Stainless U-Bolt, that I added, on the frame (MK-4 Roadster) which is located on the passenger side in the rear so I can easily get it hooked to the chassis out back. The tires are hooked via The Lasso Method Through The Tire instead of strapping over the top them so I've got a good grip on the car just using those 4 tie down, but having the front and rear hooks probably just overkill, but I do that anyway.

https://www.truckntow.com/tow-chains...-set-of-4.html

While this may not be the preferred method, it does work for me.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-08-2019 at 05:27 AM.