Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fan shroud advise

Post Thanks / Like

Fan shroud advise

As I'm getting to all the finishing details, I was looking around the garage and spotted an unused piece of aluminum. I always considered making a fan shroud. I went to work and fabricated a shroud based on some of the pics I've seen here. When the fan needed to be put on it did not fit all the way down and ended up being about 1 1/2" above the rad. This meant I needed to close that up and after fabrication that looked pretty good. However (surprise surprise) it interfered with the hood. Made a modification that I was hoping would solve it but alas it didn't.
    So now I have a dilemma because as I measured the clear space between the fan and the radiator if the fan sits where its supposed to, I only have 3/4" depth for the shroud. That seems marginal at best and I'm not sure that it will created enough flow across the entire radiator. Most shrouds seem about 1 1/2-2" deep.
    I pondered cutting the slanted (exhaust) wall to create a pocket for the fan but my power steering rack tubing is right behind there so it will not allow for that.

Was hoping to use the 16" fan to keep cost at bay but may have to go with two smaller fans.

Thoughts...

Thanks,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello John
    Its Chris with the Gen 2 Coupe. I posted a few pictures my coupe which is painted with your original paint scheme. Still at the painter but looks great.
    Now onto your problem? are you having an over heating issue? why the need for the shroud? These cars generally have pretty good cooling due to the design of the air entry and exit. I am adding the Russ Thompson front beaded radiator nose. Having had much driving time so I am not sure how much it helps. Enjoy?
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Little bit warm, plus it will cool better and it also looks better in my opinion
    Where did you post the pics? Didn’t see them

Thanks,

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any Pics John? They pictures ended in the type65 build tread. Coupe Painted. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking car Chris!

IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg

I made a shroud as mentioned and the fan had to sit above the edge due to the lack of room in the cavity.
    Hope it makes sense with the pics.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How about a smaller fan. They make some high volume 10"-12" fan that would fit better without having to modify the rest of the step (assuming that you have a fan large than 12", i.e 90-97 mustang). Can't wait to move onto the final assembly.

7. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

This is not my area of expertise, but I'd think that fan would be like trying to drink out of a straw with a bunch of holes between one's mouth and the drink - the suction is less than ideal due to the air leak. I would think it would be the near-seal between the radiator/shroud/fan combination, rather than the depth of the shroud, that makes the most difference. But I don't know - hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

I built a similar shroud, with the FFR fan, and it fits with little room to spare at the bottom. I must have that aluminum ducting angled differently.

9. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John, You have a couple of options which have already been discussed but here are 2 more. One is to install the fan inside the shroud (if it will fit inside the shroud), it will still move the same amount of air. Or go with a fan that has an integral shroud like this one for a 95 Tunderbird 4.6. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...NuK4ILI0D8fVK6

11. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jacob,

My final version had the top portion enclosed so there would not be false air. But I had to remove that part as it was interfering. Too bad because that looked good

Post Thanks / Like
    I had though about putting the fan on the inside but the shroud is cut out for this set up so I will have to make anew one.
    Wasn’t sure if putting it close to the radiator was defeating the purpose.?
    Is the rock auto fan for a roadster or a coupe?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Is the rock auto fan for a roadster or a coupe?

Thanks
    I know for sure it fit the Roadster and I thought I saw a few Coupe guys fit the same fan to the F5R Coupe rad. I would need to know the exact dimension of the coupe rad to be sure. Point is, with the dimensions in hand I would go to the pick-a-part and start measuring rad fans. With that info you could go to Rockauto and search by make, model & year and order up a new replacement. That's how I found the T-Bird fan a number of years ago. https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...r-fan-mod.html
    Last edited by i.e.427; 09-10-2019 at 01:25 AM.

15. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link where Scott uses the same fan for a Coupe.
    https://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr...n-upgrade.html

17. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post