FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedometer Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Speedometer Wiring

Finally had a successful first start! Only things not working are fuel gauge and speedometer. Have not checked fuel wiring yet but am confused on the speedometer wiring. Two wires provided Signal and Reference. The speedometer has a Signal terminal but nothing marked Reference.

20190908_190615.jpg20190908_190624.jpg

Does this go the ground?

Thanks for any help.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    Finally had a successful first start! Only things not working are fuel gauge and speedometer. Have not checked fuel wiring yet but am confused on the speedometer wiring. Two wires provided Signal and Reference. The speedometer has a Signal terminal but nothing marked Reference.

20190908_190615.jpg20190908_190624.jpg

Does this go the ground?

Thanks for any help.
    Connect one to ground and one to signal on the speedo. Doesn’t matter which way. Understand the speedo will need to be calibrated before it will work
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I see they make a $150 GPS kit for the speedometer. Has anyone tried that?
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Be advised that if you just connect one of the wires to a bunch of grounds you may get anomalous behavior in the other circuits. I suspect the pulses from the speedometer sensor back fed into the other circuits' grounds. Once I separated the speedo ground from the others (by ~6-8"), the anomalies went away.

I haven't seen any posts about the Autometer GPS kit, but lots of folks have sent their Speedhut gauges back for GPS retrofit. I suspect the technology has transferred around the industry, and that the Autometer kit will work just fine.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Wire is long enough to go directly to the welded on ground bolt I added near the dash, will use that. If you think it was the pulses being inductively passed to the other wires maybe I should ground it back by the transmission. Either way, thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by miller7448; 09-11-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    just wondering if that is the standard speedo that comes with the kit? usually i see them backwards and im not a big fan of that. thanks, jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasNMe View Post
    just wondering if that is the standard speedo that comes with the kit? usually i see them backwards and im not a big fan of that. thanks, jake
    The kit comes standard with a set of Atometer gauges. The reverse speedo is part of the "Vintage" gauge set available as an option. The vintage gauges are made by Speedhut.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread