Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tire Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Recommendations

Hi, I'm looking for tire recommendations. I have Vintage Halibrand Replica Wheels, 17” X 9” Front and 17” X 10.5” Rear. Live in California in the Sacramento area, it gets hot here, and will mostly be doing summer driving. Looking at the Nitto NT555 G2's. Anyone have experience with these on their Roadster? Any other tires out there I should consider?

Thanks,
    Tim

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tbl100 View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for tire recommendations. I have Vintage Halibrand Replica Wheels, 17” X 9” Front and 17” X 10.5” Rear. Live in California in the Sacramento area, it gets hot here, and will mostly be doing summer driving. Looking at the Nitto NT555 G2's. Anyone have experience with these on their Roadster? Any other tires out there I should consider?

Thanks,
    Tim
    The Nitto 555's will be fine for cruising, but consider going to the NT-01's if you plan on Auto Crossing the car.
    Also, a lot of guys run 255/40-17's up front with 315/35-17's out back because they fit pretty well and give the car a great stance.
    If you have a lot of power to plant and don't plan on tracking the car then you might consider running the NT-555-R Drag Radials on the rear.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-09-2019 at 07:58 AM.

3. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the 17" Toyo lineup the 555G2 makes a good all around street cruiser tire with reasonable performance. Next step up the rung is the NT-05 but it's increased dry/warm weather performance comes with diminished cool/wet weather traction and tread life. Still further up the ladder is the NT-01 Steve mentioned but being a DOT compliant R-compound 100 treadwear tire their dry/warm performance is outstanding but they do not tolerate cool or wet and will have a lifespan of ~5,000 miles. All tires are a compromise, none will be exceptional in every category so you need to decide where your priorities lie (be realistic and honest about it) and shop accordingly.

Jeff

5. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ....Jeff Kleiner Knows These Cars Like Back Of His Hand & Is Truly Our Resident Expert!

Any Advice That He Gives You Will Be Based On Knowledge & Experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    The Nitto 555's will be fine for cruising, but consider going to the NT-01's if you plan on Auto Crossing the car.
    Also, a lot of guys run 255/40-17's up front with 315/35-17's out back because they fit pretty well and give the car a great stance.
    If you have a lot of power to plant and don't plan on tracking the car then you might consider running the NT-555-R Drag Radials on the rear.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Am currently running the 555R 100 tread ware at both ends on 17" FFR wheels. Have had good service with them. As stated they will go away when its cold but in my case when its cold enough to cause tire problems will take my civilian car.

Can drive the car all year round in NC, just less days over the winter.

Have gotten 10K miles on them in DD mode with maybe 3 or so AutoX a summer. Will swap them out this winter for the NT-01's.

If anyone is interested have a pair of unused NITTO 555's in 255X40X17. These are street tires not drag radials like the "R" version.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

8. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post