Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Nose / Hood Alignment Solution?

Post Thanks / Like

Nose / Hood Alignment Solution?

After screwing around with the hood and taking out all possible slack in the hinges, I was left with the much reported issue of "OK without struts vs Not OK with struts connected."

Attached is my solution (simplest I came up with) to stiffening up the location of the strut supports on the hood (on those very very flexible flanges of the liner). Bingo!

Does require the sides of the duct to be notched (I'll replace the bulb seal on either side of the notch as I move on)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by freds; 09-09-2019 at 02:42 PM.

2. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I had an issue with the struts in effect pushing the rear edge of the hood forward by 1/4"-3/8". Without the struts, it fits perfectly. I found that the front of the hood was compressing(the angle at the front edge of the hood where the top of the hood meets the lower part with the lower intake and foglights). I fabbed braces that prevent the collapse and it improved my problem by 95%. I do have a little flexing in one of the flanges where the struts meet. I am going to try to brace laterally from flange to flange to see if that helps more
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis500 View Post
    Interesting. I had an issue with the struts in effect pushing the rear edge of the hood forward by 1/4"-3/8". Without the struts, it fits perfectly. I found that the front of the hood was compressing(the angle at the front edge of the hood where the top of the hood meets the lower part with the lower intake and foglights). I fabbed braces that prevent the collapse and it improved my problem by 95%. I do have a little flexing in one of the flanges where the struts meet. I am going to try to brace laterally from flange to flange to see if that helps more
    @jdavis - do you have any pics or more details about this bracing? I am trying to envision what you're describing. 95% improvement is a lot, and would cure many cars of this common nuisance.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    @jdavis - do you have any pics or more details about this bracing? I am trying to envision what you're describing. 95% improvement is a lot, and would cure many cars of this common nuisance.

Hi Logan, I had read you posts and agreed totally with your observations and thought along similar lines about bracing. But wondered about "both sides?" So I thought about bracing those flimsy (totally inadequately) stiff mounting locations of the struts......and "Why not brace them against each other?"
    Practically it was simple.
    Firstly I made sure that there was no slack anywhere in the nose hinge assemblies, and that without the air struts the nose was well aligned. Then:

1. Cut a 1/2" diameter Al rod, to the length of the distance between left and right nose air strut supports.
    2. Drilled and tapped a centered hole in each end, same thread as the screws mounting the air strut mounts.
    3. Remove the nuts from the center of the three mounting nut/screws And inserted and screwed them into the Al rod.
    This means the mounts can only possibly move left-right in tandem and cannot flex rotationally.
    Cut slots into the sides of the radiator air duct to accommodate the Al rod when the nose is closed.

Magically....All good. To my great relief.

That's all.

I have informed FFR and hope they incorporate a solution in their kit to end this chronic pain in the tonsils

fred

6. Thanks Indy Shu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Check post #114 of my build thread. I tried my best to explain.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Apology to both jdavis and Logan: I was not intentionally inserting myself into your exchange... i was simply not paying attention. I was relieved at finding a solution and wanted to share it right away, that's all.
    fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Fred, no need for apologies. Thanks for sharing your experience.