Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build sequence

Post Thanks / Like

Build sequence

Hello, I got the call from Stewart transport saying my kit will be delivered next Thursday or Friday! Now that it is getting close I'm starting to think about the build sequence. I'm the type of person that likes to get the most difficult things out of the way first - and for me I think that will be the bodywork. So a question I have is: what exactly needs to be installed so that the body/doors/bed can be fit correctly and then removed again to do the bodywork? I will not have a hood, side panels or fenders on my build.

And one more thing: when Stewart called they mentioned that there was another kit (not a '35 truck though) on the truck being delivered only about 8-9 miles from my house - how cool is that?

Thanks, Gary

2. Thanks Spiffyz06, Cobra Ray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gary. Really cool to have a neighbor close by building close by hopefully you two can hit it off. There is somewhat a sequence to building one of these relax and enjoy it. Read up on the manual as for body work I built a go cart chassis first then dropped my cab on and fit the doors installed all my components windows , shaved handles, even the door panels then I removed the doors and I am doing the bodywork on them now . I fitted my bed and quarters a few months ago and drilled all my holes to mount everything then I removed it all did the bodywork and painted it all and now it’s in my basement. One of my hardest tasks was scrunching everything together with the radiator , ac condenser and grille a bit challenging but I did that early on while I was waiting on my powder coat guy. My plan was to assemble everything then take it apart and paint it. I’m not a fan of drilling into a painted surface. Just my two cents worth Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Most start with the chassis first then move on to the body. I had my body on/off many times during the build and would not want to complicate things with a painted body.
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by House Money View Post
    Hello, I got the call from Stewart transport saying my kit will be delivered next Thursday or Friday! Now that it is getting close I'm starting to think about the build sequence. I'm the type of person that likes to get the most difficult things out of the way first - and for me I think that will be the bodywork. So a question I have is: what exactly needs to be installed so that the body/doors/bed can be fit correctly and then removed again to do the bodywork? I will not have a hood, side panels or fenders on my build.

And one more thing: when Stewart called they mentioned that there was another kit (not a '35 truck though) on the truck being delivered only about 8-9 miles from my house - how cool is that?

Thanks, Gary
    Where are you located? I’m supposed to get a delivery on those same days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gary, congratulations, you're going to have a ton of fun.
    I haven't done the HR truck but am doing the 33.... the most difficult of the 33 build is the hood and side panels. After that, maybe it's the firewall. So if I were to start again, that's where I'd initially focus - put the firewall on and then the cab - see how the two work together. If it's like the 33, a bit of trimming back some parts of the firewall are needed to work better with the body...

Good luck and have fun. Look forward to seeing your build evolve...

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundPounderSATX View Post
    Where are you located? I’m supposed to get a delivery on those same days.
    Hi GroundPounder, I'm in Arlington, Wa. And You?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by House Money View Post
    Hi GroundPounder, I'm in Arlington, Wa. And You?
    Hello Gary
    I’m in San Antonio, Texas. Must be a different rig, thought it would be cool if you were down the street!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer, that would have been cool. Good luck with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of locations, how does one update their profile to reflect where they live? I looked in both the settings and my profile sections but did find anything.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the latest FFR body videos for maybe doing the bodywork first. I have always done that last but will do it first on my next build to see if there is a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, do I find these videos here on the forum or on the FFR site?

13. Thanks Cobra Ray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same to you Gary!
    As far as sequence goes, in my experience, I’ve found that following the way the FFR assembly manual is laid out helps quite a bit.
    Now there are some deviations depending on the mechanical components you have selected. Definitely look at the instructions on the FFR website under the parts section to see if there are any updated instructions or for the options you have chosen.
    Also back ordered parts can throw things out of sequence but I try to move on to something else that won’t cause an accessibility problem later.
    The bodywork doesn’t take as much time as you would think since it’s all new and fairly minor work. The mechanical seems to take more time and I like to kind of have everything in place then mock the body up one more time and look for adjustments I might need to make then remove the body and finish it up. Then when I do final assembly I don’t have any or few surprising fixes.
    Just my thoughts,
    Emilio

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gary,
    I am in Houston TX and researching a build that will start in 2020. I too would like to tackle the bodywork first, for me that will be the hard and messy part of the build. Trim door gaps, align panels, grind and fill mold seams, filler, block sand, filler to true things up, then prime before moving on to the mechanicals. Drive it in primer for a bit, then paint. The concern I have with this approach is “sealing” the bodywork up. I Will have to do some research to prevent issues due to moisture absorption in fillers or primer. I will have to stay tuned to your build.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about six weeks into my build; initially missing backordered suspension parts so I flipped frame onto side and did floor pan, brake, fuel lines and tank, while waiting (see my build thread). First thing I did was powder coat / paint chassis parts - per manual, treating all body work as separate but parallel project. The plan is, once I have a "go cart" and body work ready to paint I will fit everything and test drive for awhile, then disassemble adjust/repair and finish painting. Satisfying build so far