BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RT Turn Signals Not Working...

Post Thanks / Like

RT Turn Signals Not Working...

Hi all. Finally got around to hooking up the tail lights and they are all working correctly when tested. Wired everything to the harness.

Here's what I have:
    1. All lights come on when the headlight switch is activated.
    2. Brake lights come on when pedal is pushed.
    3. Front parking and headlights operate correctly
    4. High beam switch is operating correctly

Here's what I don't have:
    1. Turn signals are not coming on at all (I have all lights hooked up on all 4 corners to provide a load)
    2. All 4 hazards (front and back) come on when the headlight switch is off. When on, only one front parking light and one rear tail light flash.
    3. The turn signal indicators in the speedo are not coming on either. It does light for the high beam and hazards.

Three Questions:
    1. Are the hazards and turn signals on the same circuit?
    2. Should all 4 hazard lights be flashing when the lights are on, or is 2 'normal'?
    3. Is there something that maybe I missed or is incorrect on the RT hookup? My wiring is as follows:
    * RT Green/Black Wire is connected to the RF harness 2 blue/1 white bundle of wires
    * RT Black wire with white dashes is connected to the RF harness grey wire
    * RT Black wire with white stripe is connected to the RF harness 2 green/1 yellow bundle of wires.

Thanks for helping troubleshoot!
    Last edited by cv2065; 09-14-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing to try is remove all the bulbs, two front, all four in the rear. Re-install one bulb at a time and verify it works in all conditions.
    FWIW, your TS and brakes are two seperate circuits and in no way connected to your tail or front marker lights - those work independently of the brighter elements used for brake and TS.

Do you have your rear lights separated into upper for brake and lower for TS (or vice-versa)?

1) Are the hazards and turn signals on the same circuit? - depends on how you wired your car (mine are because I wired all four rear lights to be both brake and TS).
    2) Should all 4 hazard lights be flashing when the lights are on, or is 2 'normal'? - again, depends on how you wired the car (mine is all six lights (2 frt, 4 rear) flash with hazard switch activated).
    normal, if you separated the rears as mentioned above is only the TS bulbs will flash, not the upper brake bulbs. The "normal" is that the brake and TS are separate circuits.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Doc.

I do have my rear lights separated. The upper is brake and the lower for TS. I followed one of Jeff Kliener's thread for hookup. All light up when lights are turned on. The two brake lights are working correctly.

One thing to note is that I did use a MM to test the voltage coming from the RT turn signal black/green wire and I don't get any reading. I believe that the grey wire in the RF harness is common and I'll be testing it next. Sent Russ a note for anything that I might be missing as well. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Double check the ground at the headlight switch - make sure the ground is going to the correct terminal.

2. Remove the lens cover of the tail lights and confirm the bright filaments are illuminating when the brake pedal is pressed and the turn signals are operated, and the low filaments are illuminated when the lights are on - not the other way around.

My wires in the tail lights were crossed from the factory. This resulted in the bright filaments being illuminated when the lights were on. Consequently, you couldn't see the turn signals working though they were - the bright filaments washed them out.

See the thread: Wonky Brake Light
    Last edited by RJD; 09-14-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very unlikely IMO that the RT turn signal assembly itself is the issue here. It's just simple double-throw switch that connects an input (the grey TS power wire) to one of two outputs (left green-yellow or right blue-white turn signal wires). You can check the switch operation with a VOM and no wires attached. It should have continuity from the common to one wire with the stalk up. Common to the other wire with the stalk down. No continuity when in the center. If that's how it's working the switch is fine. The most common issue with this setup is the interaction between the hazard circuit and the turn signal circuit. The hazard lights are powered by the pink wire from the RF panel. It's a battery circuit, so always on. You can confirm that with a VOM. Should have +12V all the time. The turn signals are powered by the grey wire from the RF panel. It's an ignition circuit, so only powered on when the key is on. Again, you can check to confirm there's +12V with the key on. Assuming that's all OK, and the lights are wired properly like others have explained, likely the issue is how you have the hazard switch wired. You have to wire the hazards exactly like the RF wiring diagram shows, e.g. with a double pole switch (kit provides one) and separate indicator lights. If you don't, you'll get backfeeding and all kinds of crazy things start happening.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies Paul and RJD. Greatly appreciate it. Carl (Badasp) also called to troubleshoot. Thanks Carl! Turns out, I had the same issue as RJD, where a front and rear light were wired incorrectly from the factory which was causing chaos with the turn signals as well as the hazards. Simply switched two wires on each light, front and back, and all good.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by cv2065; 09-14-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it was something simple and that you got it worked out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.