BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Keeping the nose of a 65 Coupe up

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping the nose of a 65 Coupe up

Bent Nose Hardware DS (1).JPG
    I was not happy with the original gas struts as they did not hold the nose up firmly. A breeze or slight pressure against the nose would start the closing process. I replaced the 40# struts with 60#, but now the ball end bracket is bending under the increased pressure. Has anybody come up with a better solution? Any sturdier ball end brackets? I don't want to have the nose slamming down. Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    We whipped up a locking bracket with some spare aluminum in the shop - when we put the nose up, just unfold and lock the bracket....no more worries of taking someones head off at the car show.

I'll see about taking a few shots to share.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion. Photo's would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I added a hoop prop on my Gen2 coupe.
    See here for post in my build thread:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post297446

Copied below so you don't have to click:
    Here's what I ended up doing for a hood prop. This is something I should have done a long time ago, but kept putting it off as I wasn't sure what to do. Thank goodness I have the hood rollers because I've had my hood slam down twice on me. The struts are strong enough to hold the hood up as long as there isn't any wind or isn't bumped into. Both times I was fortunate it slammed down right in place and didn't hang up or damage anything.

I bought the Lisle 45900 Hood Prop. It telescopes from about 18" to 46". It's a really nice piece and heavy duty. I was pleasantly surprised how solid it feels even when fully extended.

I drilled a hole through the largest section near the end and drilled a hole in the 1" square tube right behind the front right splash guard. I also screwed on a piece of rubber to the end to hold the prop from moving while driving. You can see this on the left.

In order for the prop to rest flush with the tube when not in use and angle optimally against the hood when in use, I needed to drill the 1" tube at an angle. I used some nylon lock nuts, some grease and some washers to allow the prop to swing.

The prop stays against the hood fine, but I was a little afraid it could get bumped as well. I riveted a rubber section that was left over from the coolant hose connections to the splash guard and I put the prop through this as I telescope it out.

Voila

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    mtwarog, Thanks for the photo's. That's good insurance against a slammed nose. I too have the rollers and they do indeed help a slam.
    I found a single ball end stud at McMaster Carr that has a 5/16-18 threaded stud and will use that in place of the FFR supplied triangle plate.
    Should be a whole lot sturdier and will get a strut like yours for insurance.
    BTW, McMaster has an identical gas strut with fixed ends that actually has a mechanical stop, but at $89.00 will probably use what I have. Thanks, again, Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Photos please.
    thanks
    fred

Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    We whipped up a locking bracket with some spare aluminum in the shop - when we put the nose up, just unfold and lock the bracket....no more worries of taking someones head off at the car show.

I'll see about taking a few shots to share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey - sorry, had to find a moment to grab shots etc.

Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Very well done.
    fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Strut Ball End Stud.JPGStrut Plate FFR.JPG
    I finally replaced the flimsy FFR supplied plate with a ball end stud (10 mm ball end diameter) from McMaster Carr. It has a rather robust 5/16-18 threaded stud. I bolted it to the 1/4" thick aluminum plate that I installed to beef up the rather weak foam panel.
    Put back the heavier 60# rated struts and all is well. I do plan to install some sort of brace for "insurance" against stiff winds.