Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Where Were You & What Will You Be Doing On This Fateful Day?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Where Were You & What Will You Be Doing On This Fateful Day?

When you get a chance, please stop and remember those who lost their lives on this fateful day.

• Remember also those who passed away years later and those who are currently ill because they inhaled particulates of smoke, soot, silicates & asbestos.
    • The world changed today, surely not for the better, so never forget this day or we as a country will be forced to repeat those horrors once more.
    • Please pray for our country and those who keep us safe, especially those Great Men and Women who fight for our freedom.

So With That Said; Where Were You & What Will You Be Doing On This Fateful Day?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-11-2019 at 08:18 AM.

2. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Likes NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ill be flying jets. Luckily I was off on 9/11. Scary times. Went to operate a flight on 9/13 the first day they were putting things in the air. It was a scary time. This was before the cockpit doors were reinforced. We flew around with out flight kits piled against the door and the crash axe in hand ready to fight for our lives. As an airline pilot that event affected me greatly. My job was never the same since. Always remember those we lost and am thankful for those that defend our freedoms.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

4. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense Logistics Agency Richmond Va. We had a very large engagement (400 consultants) to implement SAP R/3. Folks at HQ in DC had to lay on the floor in the office basement for 6 hours. We had it easy. TVs were on the wall around us , so saw the first tower in flames right away. While watching saw the second hit. What a feeling. Wife calls and ask me about it. Told her the Towers would come down in a few hours at most. She didn't believe me. Didn't even take as long as I thought. Lost 22 of our own that day.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on a business trip in Guadalajara, Mexico. We had a hard time getting news since the network traffic was so high. I was on my cell phone with my son back in Indiana getting updates. Took us almost a week to get home. The plane rides home were somber to say the least. I'll never forget so many aspects of that time.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall it like it was yesterday; watching the events unfold on live television. I decided to go home, get my kids and try to understand what was happening. Two things in particular are still etched into my memory. First, as I fought back the anger on my drive home, I was struck by how everyone on the road seemed to be a bit more civil and not self-absorbed like most other days. People were courteous and respectful. Second, once I got home, the erie quiet struck me. Living near Denver with a lot of air traffic, it was so odd not to see planes flying except for the F16s that were on patrol in the skys over Colorado.

It's hard to believe that it's been 18 years since that day.
    Last edited by Papa; 09-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was driving to work with my pal and partner in crime Mike Faciane (aka: The One Armed Bandit) a USAF Gulf War Veteran, who was medically retired for being short handed, when we heard the news.

Later that day my Father, a veteran of the U.S. Navy, found out that he had 3-6 months to live. His comment to me was "At Least I Get To Say Good Bye!"

Those folks that lost their lives on that day didn't have that luxury so I'm glad that we honor them by simply remembering them.

Michael (The Bandit) and I will be hanging out and maybe hoisting a few this evening if all goes as planned.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-11-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a job interview about 60 miles north of NYC where I’ve worked ever since. I didn’t care about the interview and I don’t think my future VPs did either. I just wanted to get out and call my family. Today, I’m sitting at RSW waiting to fly to NY for a short business trip. I fly once a month occasionally more and watch the security routines take place during the flights. Everything definitely changed that day but I’m afraid there are too many that have forgotten or never knew what it was like that day and after. Just a strange feeling today. God bless all those lost and who protect us.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a medical center, repairing a nuclear gamma camera. Someone heard about what was happening and we turned on a small TV in another room. It had no picture reception but we could hear the commentary. I recall feeling like my blood pressure was gone and spent the rest of the day just going through the work in a total depression. I think it gives a lesson in what people in confict and wars have experienced throughout history and is a stark reminder that we have freedoms that others hate and are jealous of. I thank all who have given their lives there and pray this will never be forgotten.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was up early on the West Coast and follwed the entire story on TV until 8:00 pm. After the second jet hit the WTC, i was relieved Al Gore lost the election. Watching the towers crumble and the Pentagon being hit, I wondered if the country would remember the final payback for Pearl Harbor (Hiroshima) and strike in an asymmetrical way to ensure this never happened again. Bsuh didn't.
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the day off as a Maintenance SSG in Special Forces Group my wife and I where doing a walk through on our first home. I will always remember thinking that morning that my life in the Army would drastically change. And it did so after a few combat tours in Afghanistan I decided to get out.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I was building an apartment development at the time and was in my office going through e-mails, etc. before heading out into the field. It was a little before 8 AM local time and one of the maintenance guys poked his head in the door and said his wife just called to tell him that a plane had hit one of the towers. We envisioned a small private plane and wondered how in the heck could that happen. A few minutes later she called him again and said the news was reporting that it was a commercial jet and the situation was bad... We went to the clubhouse and turned on the TV about the time #2 hit. I generally have a "no radios" rule on my jobsites but let the guys bring them in out of their trucks & trailers so we could all keep up with what was happening... the tumbling of the towers...The Pentagon...the downed hijacked flight... Not a lot of work got done and I sent everyone home early. So surreal and it is still as clear as if it was yesterday.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Kansas city holding a meeting with about 35 Field Engineers. I stepped out to take a call and saw on the TV in the hotel lobby the first tower on fire. I went in and suggested a break so everyone could catch up on the news. About that time the second plane hit. It was dead silence. Amazing how one of the engineers called everyone back into the room and put down a plan to arrange rental cars for groups going back to the various regions of the US. He knew there would be no planes flying for several days. We all drove back home.

About 2 years later I was working in another division and we won the contract to work for NIST doing half scale fire research on the twin tower design simulating the fire and evaluating the span of the structure. We learned a great deal about the design and how it reacted in the intense jet fuel fire. Those details are used today to help architects design better structures.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was getting off shift in the San Francisco Fire Department. I remember watching TV when the 2nd plane hit the Towers. Shortly thereafter, the City's Emergency Operations Center was activated. I responded to the EOC where City leaders and Department Heads gathered. One of the hijacked planes had San Francisco as its destination. We all monitored the situation and made decisions on how the City would respond. The FBI handed out critical infrastructure targets, which the facility I was in was one of the targets. It truly was a frightening time. When I was relieved from duty, I remember feeling unnerved as I was driving across the recently re-opened but empty Golden Gate Bridge.

God bless all the souls who lost their lives on that fateful day. I will forever be thankful for those who protect our freedom.
    Last edited by Vspeeds; 09-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I was working in the Pentagon at the time. My office was on the river side of the building - almost opposite from where American 77 struck. There was a dull thud, the building shook, and then the tiles in the false ceiling rose and fell, as if the air conditioning kicked on - only stronger. Then the fire alarms went off, there was yelling in the corridors to get out, and the phones rang off the hook. After evacuating, I stood in the Pentagon parking lot with several hundred of my fellow brothers and sisters-in-arms, looked back at the smoke plume, and felt the collective rage we all felt - that someone was going to pay dearly for what they just did.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just starting my first year of law school, sitting in the school's lounge, when the dean walked in, announced that the United States had been attacked, and cancelled classes for the day. Trying to get out of downtown Pittsburgh was pretty much pandemonium, as office buildings were being evacuated. There was a lot of thought, reflection and mourning in the days that followed, to say the least.

In my mind that day was an abrupt end to an era that started with the Berlin Wall coming down - an era for Americans of general peace and prosperity, and for the world, a time then it seemed like Western ideals of democracy, strong human rights and freedom were well on their way to global triumph. To some extent that all came crashing down with the towers.

Had it occurred a year earlier, had I not been in grad school, I might have enlisted. I understand the attacks were a big motivator for my cousin, who joined the Air Force after college and is now a Lt. Colonel with his name painted on what I think is a KC-135 in Enid, OK. I have no doubt that it changed the course of his life, much as it changed the course of so many others' lives. I have some sense of regret for not going into the military, much as I imagine some felt as they saw their peers go off to Vietnam, while they did not, for whatever reasons.

In a lot of ways it would be nice to go back to the time before 9/11. Some aspects of life and society are certainly better, but much is not. My wife and I agree that if we could take our 2018 skis and mountain bikes, going back to pre-9/11 would be hard to beat.

"God bless all the souls who lost their lives on that fateful day. I will forever be thankful for those who protect our freedom." Yes and yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have vivid memory of that fateful day. I was Gen Mgr of a whitewater rafting and outdoor adventure outfitter in West Virginia. We had 60 8th grade students from the Detroit area visiting for the week. We had 20 kids on a rock climbing trip, 20 kids on mountain biking trip and the other 20 ready to go hiking in the New River Gorge National River recreation area. When the planes hit and we realized what had happened we had to get everyone back to our basecamp and make sure we had them safe. Each one had to call home to reassure their parents that they were okay and would be safe with us. The school wanted the leaders to pack and head home immediately. The leaders on the trip knew they needed to feed the boys and pack up their camping gear, get the charter bus ready, etc. We kept a close eye on everyone until 5am and sent them home to their families. It was a stressful day for us but a sad tragedy for so many. We shall always remember those who were lost and those that continue to struggle with that loss. God Bless them all and the United States of America.
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Was and still am a NYC Paramedic working in the city 911 system out of a Hospital in Queens. Lost friends and colleagues that day. Proud of my guys and all the responders on that day and every day since. More proud to say that my infant son at the time is now a Marine protecting our country

20. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was scheduled to fly a United 757 out of Boston but fortunately dropped that trip the week prior ended up over SFO in an F16 intercepting/diverting every aircraft that landed after 930 PST. Very surreal to be 5000 feet behind your own company....

22. Likes NAZ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike68 View Post
    I was scheduled to fly a United 757 out of Boston but fortunately dropped that trip the week prior ended up over SFO in an F16 intercepting/diverting every aircraft that landed after 930 PST. Very surreal to be 5000 feet behind your own company....
    Thank You For Protecting Us!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at work in Bethesda MD. I happen to be in one of our labs prepping some network gear and we had a TV in the lab. Saw the first cut in on NBC. Then the rest. Everyone gathered in a very large conference center and we watched the news and figured out what happened. In shock everyone went home to find their family. I arrived with my wife sobbing and we cried for hours. DC went into lock down.

Since then I try and do something on 9/11 and not make it a regular day. I mostly like to go for a ride and reflect. I have been to PA site several times as they improve the memorial. It really makes u think and give thanks to emergency responders and all the people affected and those on the plane. NEVER FORGET.