BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Insulation Question

Post Thanks / Like

Insulation Question

In light of what I have read on here I have tried to take insulation very seriously. Is the lizard skin sound and heat control enough on the firewall or do I need something like the thermo-tec on top of that? Here is what I have so far:

I have put 1/4 inch heat barrier on the exhaust starting at the firewall back to the rear exhaust of the car. I do not currently have anything on the headers. I have put the sound and heat control lizard skin on the floor pans, tunnel and firewall, and I am going to put thermo-tec on the floor pans before installing the carpet.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, as neither you or I have experience with the results, I am on a similar track to yourself. Lizard skin (both thermal and sound) on the firewall, and floor boards. The FFR sound and insulation package will go on top of that. Additionally, I've wrapped the mufflers in both exhaust wrap and DEI buffler shield. I am not planning on wrapping the rest of the exhaust though. I also stuffed a bit of insulation in between the frame pieces where the upper firewall goes - I have an aluminum panel on the passenger side so the insulation gets sandwiched and held there nicely. If I put other aluminum panels in the footbox (so there's no frame pieces showing), I will sandwich insulation in there as well.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

3. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I applied both Lizard Skin products and Dynamat to the firewall and foot boxes. Then I installed Replica Parts' inner firewall with Lizard Skin and Dynamat. Next I installed Tim Whitaker's inner foot box panels with Lizard Skin and Dynamat. The firewall and foot boxes stay now stay at ambient temperature. The floor is a whole different animal. I have the exhaust wrapped from the down pipes to past the passenger compartment, including the mufflers, with header wrap. There was no room between the floor and mufflers, on my gen 1, for a shield of any kind. I have recorded floor temperatures of 120+ degrees. But the ambient air temp. has been 95+ degrees. When I remove the seats to install the carpet, I will try another layer of Dynamat.IMG_1039.JPGIMG_1147.JPGIMG_1172.JPGIMG_1206.JPGIMG_1324.JPG
    Last edited by HVACMAN; 09-17-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrapping the mufflers will really drop the floor temps.

First layer
    DSCN2563.JPG

Second layer
    DSCN2566.JPG
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.