Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote Terminal???

Post Thanks / Like

Remote Terminal???

Hi guys,
    As I sit waiting for the weather to warm a bit so I can shoot Featherfill, I am finding all sorts of small projects to do. Push button start switch, dropping the bottom of the trunk, etc.
    I have my battery in the front just under the body edge. Accessible for charging/jumping but not easy.
    So I got some remote terminals. The question now id where to mount them. Trunk? Front?
    Where have you mounted them and why there?
    Thanks guys.

- Daryl

Post Thanks / Like
    My battery is in trunk and that's where I put my remote terminals.
    Battery is under the floor. I put the positive and negative terminals far apart from one another (personal preference). I also have the positive side going through a terminal switch so that it isn't hot all the time.

VIDEO SHOWING WHAT I HAD DONE

I've also attached how I wired it up.FFR 6882 WIRING PAGE 7.pdf
    Last edited by DadofThree; 02-06-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of the positive inline switch. Very smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    How often have you had to jump start your car? I jumped mine once during the build process. but never since. I have been on the road. 5yrs / 24k miles. My battery is under my trunk floor. 4 screws on the cover, so not a big deal if I have to do it once every 10 years. However, there is nothing that says you have to hook the jumper cables to the battery. I hooked mine to a positive starter cable terminal block under the hood and negative to something attached to the frame.

Since your battery is accessible, even if it is a little bit of a pain, I wouldn't put remote terminals in. If you just have to..... Don't put them in the trunk. That will be a long cable run which is the worst thing when jumping. If you put them under the hood, make absolutely sure that there is no way that you could short them or touch a live part of the positive, including behind it, with a tool. With jump packs these days, jumping is even easier than jumper cables.

If you use a battery tender, install one of the plug-in connectors instead.

As far a disconnect goes. If you have fuel injection, for most systems, you want to keep power to it or it will always be in learning mode. I have the typical red flag disconnect switch. I have a clock, so I ran a separate, fused of course, circuit just for that. You can do something similar for EFI or radio memory.

Post Thanks / Like
    My battery is also up front in the Breeze position. I can't imagine why I would need additional posts.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over thirteen yrs of driving a Cobra, never once had to have a jump. Remote terminal, just more complexity and added future maintenance?

Post Thanks / Like
    In the 15+ years or so that I have owned a Cobra, I don't think I have ever had to get a jump start.

BUT... I have used my Cobra to jump start other cars. Rarely a Cobra, but you never know who might need it. I think I even used it to start my Dodge Cummins once.

Now I just carry a jump start battery pack instead of cables. Easier to use and more compact.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The other guys who have posted on the thread are correct; But in the nearly two years and 22,XXX miles that I've had mine on the road, I have needed them once. Worked well too. I sure was glad I didn't need lean my head deep into the trunk with a flash light to see where to put those jumper cables down into the recessed battery box (which is surrounded by bare trunk aluminum). But I'm a special case. I always have issues here and there.

Being that your battery is in the front may make your situation a little easier to work with if you ever did need a jump. I like Avalanche325's idea regarding the terminal block.

BTW, If I didn't put a headlight chime in my car, I definitely would have needed many more jumps by now (thanks for the "how to" edwardb). That thing is so annoying I make sure I turn off the lights so I don't need to hear it.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 02-07-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post

BTW, If I didn't put a headlight chime in my car, I definitely would have needed many more jumps by now (thanks for the "how to" edwardb). That thing is so annoying I make sure I turn off the lights so I don't need to hear it.
    I have a chime also. It has saved me a couple times.

There is a good winter project for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I have a chime also. It has saved me a couple times.

There is a good winter project for you.
    Might just do that.
    By the way my battery is in the same position as this one.

battery engine.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have remote terminals on the top passenger side rail in the engine compartment. While I have never had to jump start the car, these make it much easier to attach the battery tender when the car is parked for any length of time.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

12. Thanks Dwleo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since my latest Post 2 months ago, I've used the terminals (3) times. I really wish I had photos of 2 of them.

(1) was to help jump my buddies Chevy Pickup as he had a low battery at the office. (wish I had a photo)
    (2) was yesterday after the car's been sitting in the garage acting as my phone charger for a couple of weeks. I rolled it out and jumped it off the DD.
    (3) was right after that yesterday, I stopped by the police station a block from my house and turned off the car to talk to an Officer. The car hadn't charged up the battery enough on the short run. After conversation, the cobra wouldn't start and I had a squad pickup truck jumping the Cobra.

All three times, the terminals worked perfectly and I was glad to have the switch to turn on and off the positive post.
    Dave