Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2020 London Cobra Show

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ries View Post

...Are we building performance just to build ego?...

Matt
    This is exactly the case all too often Matt. It's a conversation that myself and some of the other pro-builders have had many times. We get calls from guys inquiring about having a car built and they will often start by saying "I need 500 horsepower" to which we all reply "No, you do not". And when they do get it they find out that the cars are not really a lot of fun to drive or live with. Give me a slightly warmed over little ol' EFI Windsor like ours---what my good buddy and prolific builder extraordinaire Ron Everitt calls "the old reliables." I'd be happy to see some of these guys with the monsters under the hood come on out to Circleville on June 26th and dish up a serving of crow

OK, I'll put away the soapbox now.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another car for the race track. It's a bit faster, lots of fun, and quite a bit cheaper. www.RacingTheExocet.com

I raced the FFR for about 10 years. I'm pretty comfortable with lots of power in a small car. I built my Cobra with lots of power, because I like it. It makes me happy.

I had planned to arrive in Columbus Wednesday afternoon. I am seriously considering leaving a day early so I can join the slow group just so I can experience this particular track.
    Last edited by Bob Cowan; 03-14-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

3. Likes Matt Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I had planned to arrive in Columbus Wednesday afternoon. I am seriously considering leaving a day early so I can join the slow group just so I can experience this particular track."
    Bob, Mid Ohio is a very fun track with a variety different corners and challenges, of elevation changes. The track staff have been very helpful at creating a learning atmosphere, keeping everybody grouped to their skill level. Having fun and being safe. I've heard it said before and I would agree that's it a first class track. Well worth the added time and expense to the LCS trip.

Hope to see you there, any questions feel free to ask.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Low attendance at driving events

Matt,

In response to your question, here are my thoughts which are based purely on my observations and without any scientific research. Some owners just want to show their car (many because they are justifiably proud of their work, and a few who are fishing for trophies and compliments); some just want to cruise; some simply don't know about autocrossing/track days and don't know what they are missing; and, finally, there are the big HP fans who want to drag race or do burnouts or talk about how "mine is bigger than yours". One of the cool things about these cars is that we build them to our tastes, budgets and desires and to each his own.

However, IMHO, high-powered component cars (Cobras, Exocets, street rods, etc. etc.) are generally built by people, usually male, with disposable income. Nobody "needs" a 350-500-1000 hp, 2200-lb toy. So, here comes the "my eyes are bigger than my stomach" syndrome. Call it ego, or machismo, or "I gotta compensate for my small ....", whatever. Then, as Jeff Kleiner noted, they tell the engine builder, "I gotta have at least 500 hp!".

So yeah, I think that many of these builds are about ego. Personally, I went through the high-horsepower muscle car stage many years ago. Then I started racing Formula Vees in SCCA because I couldn't afford anything with more power than a 1200cc Beetle engine. Racing 60-hp cars with VW suspension and brakes teaches you to be smooth vs. brutal. That translates directly to autocrossing my Cobra with a mid-300 hp 347. I have to be smooth because the car has more than enough power! When the 500-hp guys come to an autocross, they are generally disappointed because their car is almost undriveable on a tight course and they have slower times than the guy in the Miata / Mini / Subaru. Their ego won't let them return ever again.

I can't speak to track days because I've never done one with my Cobra, although that will change this year and probably at the Mid-Ohio event before LCS. Maybe I'll have a different opinion then...

In the meantime, perhaps local Cobra clubs could do more to advertise autocrossing and the car handling skills that it develops. Offer schools that teach the right techniques without fear of embarrassment or competition. Maybe this could be a Thursday or Friday morning seminar before the autocross at LCS? I'd be happy to be involved if anyone thinks that's a good idea.

Thanks for considering my thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ries View Post
    , I have a question;

With the performance that most people build into their cars and not being able to use that performance on the street, why aren't these events which are safe and a lot fun

in controlled environments that allow you to use the performance and learn car control, why aren't you attending these events?

Maybe we wouldn't have as much news of tragic events, related to speed. Are we building performance just to build ego? I don't know and am seeking opinions.

Matt
    Craig

10/2018 -- acquired Mk3.1 #6602 which was an unfinished project in go-kart stage; 9/2019 -- completed car enough to drive locally and compete in autocross events; still in original black gel-coat; 347 Stroker w/ Holley 650 carb, roller cam; Tremec 3550; 3.51 rear diff; lots of Breeze pieces; 2021 -- XP Champion in Central PA Region - SCCA Autocross Series; 2022 - installed windshield and registered in PA; my Build Thread -- https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ished-Business

6/2022 -- acquired Mk3 #1004; finished build; 347 stroker w/ Holley 560 carb SOLD

6. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had My Coyote tuned recently and they say it is putting 401 hp to the wheels and that’s plenty enough to get my attention, so I have great respect for this machine and desperately want to get some track experience and training. The thing is, I come from the aviation world and with professional training you purposely push the the limits of your aircraft to see what it’s capabilities are and how to avoid it’s deadly serious qualities at the edge of the envelope. You learn how to safely use all that you have and, more importantly, when not to use it. That’s what I need to know about this car and if I get a chance I will get some training before this event.

I’m up for the slow group too and I’ll just follow what Bob Cowan does...maybe.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 03-29-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Incorrect bhp number
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    GTBradley - love your license plate!! Well played!
    Craig

10/2018 -- acquired Mk3.1 #6602 which was an unfinished project in go-kart stage; 9/2019 -- completed car enough to drive locally and compete in autocross events; still in original black gel-coat; 347 Stroker w/ Holley 650 carb, roller cam; Tremec 3550; 3.51 rear diff; lots of Breeze pieces; 2021 -- XP Champion in Central PA Region - SCCA Autocross Series; 2022 - installed windshield and registered in PA; my Build Thread -- https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ished-Business

6/2022 -- acquired Mk3 #1004; finished build; 347 stroker w/ Holley 560 carb SOLD

9. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking about participating in one (or more) of these events on Friday (26th). However, not sure if each one is a full day event.
    1. DAVE SEMKO COMMEMORATIVE HOCKING HILLS CRUISE (full day cruise?)
    2. GARY OSBORNE COMMEMORATIVE AMISH COUNTRY CRUISE (full day cruise?)
    3. WADE CHAMBERLAIN MEMORIAL AUTOCROSS (Is it worth it just to watch? Is there seats to view?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpariso View Post
    I'm thinking about participating in one (or more) of these events on Friday (26th). However, not sure if each one is a full day event.
    1. DAVE SEMKO COMMEMORATIVE HOCKING HILLS CRUISE (full day cruise?)
    2. GARY OSBORNE COMMEMORATIVE AMISH COUNTRY CRUISE (full day cruise?)
    3. WADE CHAMBERLAIN MEMORIAL AUTOCROSS (Is it worth it just to watch? Is there seats to view?)
    Typically the cruises leave in the 8:00 - 9:00 AM range and return mid afternoon or so. Usually there's a stop for lunch. You always have the option of leaving the cruise and returning to the hotel if it's too long, hot, whatever. Not positive about the timing for the autocross, but see them back in the parking lot around the same time.

Just hanging on hoping the London show happens. We're all registered, room reserved, calendar cleared, etc. One of the high points of the year.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpariso View Post
    There are seats but there is no fun in that! You need to drive If you haven't done it before some of us who have will be happy to help you get the hang of it!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

Just hanging on hoping the London show happens. We're all registered, room reserved, calendar cleared, etc. One of the high points of the year.
    Me, too. Anybody have any updates on whether this will happen or not?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    I had My Coyote tuned recently and they say it is putting 401 hp to the wheels and that’s plenty enough to get my attention, so I have great respect for this machine and desperately want to get some track experience and training. The thing is, I come from the aviation world and with professional training you purposely push the the limits of your aircraft to see what it’s capabilities are and how to avoid it’s deadly serious qualities at the edge of the envelope. You learn how to safely use all that you have and, more importantly, when not to use it. That’s what I need to know about this car and if I get a chance I will get some training before this event.

I’m up for the slow group too and I’ll just follow what Bob Cowan does...maybe.
    Having followed Bob on our Colorado trip, there ain't no slow going to happen behind him.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

15. Thanks Bob Cowan thanked for this post
    Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Me, too. Anybody have any updates on whether this will happen or not?
    I sent them an email asking about it. Their reply was they are still planning on having it based on the local information regarding Covid 19. It is subject to change.
    Last edited by Bobby Doug; 04-03-2020 at 11:59 PM.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your support or our cause.

We would like thank the following forum members that have purchased raffle tickets during the last month or so.

David - Beecher, IL
    Jose - Joliet, IL
    Michael - Hudsonville, MI
    Ryan - Norton, MA
    Steve - Little Silver, NJ
    Nick - Winston Salem, NC
    Brian - Carmel, IN
    Jedd - Washington, DC
    Kenneth - Charleston, SC
    James - Richfield, MN
    John - Seattle, WA
    Robert - St. Petersburg, FL
    Michael - Brookville, OH
    Chris - Winnipeg, MB
    Robert - Colorado Springs, CO
    Henry - Port Charlotte, FL
    Richard - Parker, TX
    Robert - Oak Brook, IL
    Gerald - Wilmington, NC
    Mike - Montesano, WA
    Ben - Louisville, KY
    Nick - Gillespie, IL
    Gregory - North Salt Lake, UT
    Aaron - Lancaster, CA
    Stan - Flagstaff, AZ
    Mike - Ballwin, MO
    John - Flat Rock, MI
    James - Valley Center, CA
    Oliver - Montville, NJ
    Paul - St. Louis, MO
    Anthony - Houston, TX
    Randolph - New Port Richey, FL
    Paul - Cordova, TN
    Rod - Pinckney, MI
    HJ - Huntley, IL
    Greg – Millbrook, IL
    Frank - San Antonio, TX
    Terry - Boise, ID
    William - Wrightstown, NJ
    David - Reston, VA
    Carl - Moses Lake, WA
    Dale - La Mirada, CA
    Hector - Chicago, IL
    Donald - Lebanon, PA
    Jovan - Westwood, NJ
    Colin - Boston, MA
    Juan - Plantation, FL
    Laurence - Toledo, OH
    Alanna - North York, ON
    Bob - West Bloomfield, MI
    Richard - Rancho Mirage, CA
    Henry - Lansing, NY
    Jeffrey - Plantation, FL
    Robert - Oak Brook, IL
    Eric - Covina, CA
    Jamie - Bismarck, ND
    Robert - Sun Valley Way, NJ
    Martin - Oregon City, OR
    Tilo - Chester Springs, PA
    Jeffrey - Silverdale, WA
    Mark - North Prairie, WI
    Paul - Brea, CA
    Steven - Sonoma, CA
    Richard - Roswell, NY
    John - Lititz, PA
    Richard - Milford, CT
    Michael - Colorado Springs, CO
    Robert - Moore Haven, FL
    James -Tucson AZ
    Jim - Freeport, FL
    David - West Columbia, TX
    Israel - Princeton, KY
    Ron - Cornelius, NC
    Jeffrey - Appleton, NY
    Timothy - CLAREMONT, NH
    Robert - Oak Brook, IL
    Merim - Kildeer, IL
    Thomas - Rochester Hills, MI
    John - Homosassa, FL
    Richard - Beloeil, QC
    Gary - Bucyrus, OH
    Raymond - Narragansett, RI
    Robert - Elkhorn, WI
    John - Southborough, MA
    Doug - Doylestown, PA
    Randy - Westlake, OH
    Robert - Columbus, MI
    Kevin - Wake Forest, NC
    Robert - Oak Brook, IL
    Pat – Omaha, NE
    Robert - Olivehurst, CA
    Kieran - Rogers, AR
    Tim - Scituate, MA

Hope no one has been left off the list. If so, it was not intentional.

Stay safe.

Roy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3. WADE CHAMBERLAIN MEMORIAL AUTOCROSS
    This year I plan to have the frame welded up tighter to keep the door from coming open during the AUTOCROSS!
    Having the driver door popping open on a right had turn does get you attention!
    Major rebuilding of the car going on here - prepping for the London Cobra Show.
    body off.jpg
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

19. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Ralph!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234