Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: footbox gaps

Post Thanks / Like

footbox gaps

Hey all,

I have some footbox gaps that I'd like to seal up. I have seen great pictures of solutions from various sites where guys have fashioned and riveted in aluminum patches near the pipes that line the footbox floor. That is the 100% fix. But has anyone had success with silicon or foil tape for the same job? Or something else?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Silicon for the small gaps. Patches of aluminum with silicon for the bigger gaps. Using a square piece of aluminum, cut out a "C" shape with a hole saw off center with the middle of the square. Makes for a great gap filler around the round tubes. I think that a 2" hole saw worked well.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Sounds like a plan!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used foil tape and 3M seam sealer on my footboxes.
    Mk4 Roadster #9054, 2001 Mustang GT donor, 4.6 SOHC engine, automatic transmission, ABS brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I used some of the extra aluminum plate and rivet in a couple places where it worked and looked good. I only used silicone between panels as it doest bond well to powdercoat. How ever it works great as a vibration damper. I used a modified polyurethane adheasive in black to seal gaps and secure panels. Panels like the drivers side foot box piece where it goes over the main chassis rail and doest rivet to anything. The stuff holds very solid and looks factory. I wouldn’t use it between the panels and chassis but for bonding it’s great stuff. One pointer is run painters tape 3/16”-1/4” from the edge of the panel edge on both sides. Apply the adheasive, spread it in the gap with your finger and pull the tape for a perfect caulk joint.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 09-19-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.