Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Florida Title issues as of 2019

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Florida Title issues as of 2019

I recently finished an MK4 for a customer who lives in Tampa. In the past I have had most of my kits titled in the Ocala Regional Department of Motorist Services and as long as the COO states it is a replica of a 1965, 1933 or 1935 vehicle the car/truck was titled that way. Now Ocala can only title cars that the owner lives in Ocala's 6 county area. Not the case for my Tampa guy. Tampa will not issue a title for a 1965 only a 2019 as is was the sale date of the kit. It seems each DMV office has their own interpretation on the rules. Just make sure you contact your local regional office before you buy your kit to make sure you know how it is going to go for you. Lucky for me Ocala is very Kit car builder friendly. I have had calls from folks in South Florida getting their cars titled. Do yourself a favor and do your homework, treat folks with respect and maintain courteous nature when talking to them. Just my 2-cents worth. Hope this helps someone. Here is the replica statement from FLDMV.

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/TL/TL-48.PDF

2. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude, SerpantFL thanked for this post
    Likes 65 Cobra Dude, SerpantFL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wallace. Would you know if one could register a replica in any MV office, or must one register it locally? It would be worth the trip to go to a friendly office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Palm Beach co. and had no success getting anyone to work with me. I went to Hobe Sound office in Martin co. which is the next co. north and they couldn't have been anymore helpful. Agree do you homework and have all your paperwork with you and be patient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpantFL View Post
    Thanks Wallace. Would you know if one could register a replica in any MV office, or must one register it locally? It would be worth the trip to go to a friendly office.
    It pays to go to the local office and see if they will help out. Many have had to go to other offices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next question... Anyone have experience with Manatee County?

Post Thanks / Like
    Manatee county is serviced by the office in Palmetto. I live in Sumter and had to go to Tampa. The process was handled well, I thought, but was titled as a 2019 with my FFR number, ASPT. Assembled from parts. Mine is an 818 so is nowhere near a replica of anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redbudrr View Post
    Manatee county is serviced by the office in Palmetto. I live in Sumter and had to go to Tampa. The process was handled well, I thought, but was titled as a 2019 with my FFR number, ASPT. Assembled from parts. Mine is an 818 so is nowhere near a replica of anything.
    As a 818 it should be a 2019, however it is a kit car. And the form has a check box for Kit car. Not sure why this office is so hard nosed.