BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MkIV door hinges on a Mk1?

Post Thanks / Like

MkIV door hinges on a Mk1?

Is this possible with mods? If so what needs to be done? I don’t like the sloppy Mk1 door hinges. Would love to hear if someone has done this.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR has a retrofit hinge kit. You should also get a pair or mark4 doors. I have done this fix quite a few times.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes it can be done! I have done it on my Mark I. Like Gordon said they have or had a kit to do it with. You're suppose to weld a tab at the top of the frame.
    And also as Gordon says get the newer doors! I have Mark III doors on my car and because of the curve to the inside of the door you actually get more room for your legs on those long drives. If I get a chance later today I'll take some pictures of the door hinge and how I attached it to the frame.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both! The MkIV doors sound like a good idea but I’d hate to have to try to match paint even with the original paint codes. Something to think about.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You don't have to use the newer doors as I had my Mark I doors using the newer style hinges.
    It's just that the new doors - at least for me - have more side leg room.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told by FFR that hinges fit all generations, but then I was asking for an MKII, so not 100% sure for a MKI. I just put a MKIV drivers hinge on my MKII with no issues or mods needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ralph and Badfish! I have a small frame at 5’10” and 142lbs so side room isn’t an issue for me. Foot box area is a different story. The Mk1 is tight down there.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes fit all four versions. Take body off, weld tabs, install hinge, body back on.....all in a days work. Done it to several cars in the past...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, now im curious.... Are the mk1 hinges worn out so they are loose, not made as well as current, or ..... .?
    And, when did they switch to the new style hinge? Is it just mk4 or 3 or 3.1 that has the new hinges?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not sure if mine are worn out, but to me, it seems like there is play up and down at the latch side, or a little sag. Over time my door was rubbing the body on the top by the latch. I asked about the MkIV hinges because I knew FFR at some point redesigned them and I apparently like spending money upgrading things on the old girl. I also may just be picky about it. I didn’t realize the body comes off as part of the retrofit process so I’m likely saving the hinge project as part of a larger overall refresh project way down the road.
    Others will certainly have more knowledge on the hinges than me.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread motivated me, I swapped out my passenger side to the MKIV yesterday, now the paint matches the driver’s.

Good luck with what you choose. FFR wants like $120 for a set. Maybe wait for open house or find someone on the forum, that’s what I did.

13. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Double post!