BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AWIC Reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

AWIC Reservoir

I originally built this car to have fun with at the track. I have specifically installed an oil cooler, killer b oil pan/oil pickup to support track work. After just being tuned I noticed quickly that in a cool evening drive the intake air temps increased 3-4 degrees just from doing a short run on highway on ramps (I have inlet/outlet temp probes on my intercooler). I'm wondering if I should install a water reservoir to keep the IATs cooler/longer. Planning to be able to use ice blocks in the fluid reservoir. It won't stay super cold during the whole track session but it will give a longer buffer.

Any other builders that have tracked their car using a fluid reservoir for their AWIC? Outcomes?

I would think the nose would be a better location as the pump is located there and could pull from the reservoir. Wonder how many gallons I could fit there comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use the dedicated radiator in the front. I have run in very hot weather at the track. I get ambient +10F.

Post Thanks / Like
    3-4 degrees rise is nothing! Does it rebound quickly? I come from v8 with a2w and I’d kill for only 3-4 degree rise. And that’s with a big reservoir and such.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all know that AIT affects HP and there is a formula for calculating the change.

Let’s say an engine makes 100 HP at 90F and the AIT is 120, that engine now makes 97.4 HP. In your example of a delta T of 4-deg, that would take a 100 HP down to 99.6 HP. Like Newkitguy said, that's noting! But a 20-deg change, well that could be something when the HP numbers start climbing to 500 or more. So the cost in weight penalty, complexity, and hard earned $$ to achieve a few degrees lower AIT may not be worth it unless you are competing at the highest professional level with a deep pocket sponsor.

In the class I compete in it would be a no brainer -- not worth it!

Chose wisely.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build