FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR bodies, are they numbered?

Post Thanks / Like

FFR bodies, are they numbered?

Went to a car show and most Cobra bodies pretty much look alike. Does FFR number their bodies or how do you really know its FFR?

Post Thanks / Like
    NO the bodies themselves are not numbered.

There are many tell tale signs once you get the know the cars.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    The old black bodies and early red bodies had mold numbers on the upper trunk flange but current ones do not. As Ron said it's pretty easy to pick out Factory Five identifiers once you've been around them and others.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you give me a couple quick pointers? I’m confused and as a new guy can’t tell one roadster from another unless it’s really obvious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaitee View Post
    Could you give me a couple quick pointers? I’m confused and as a new guy can’t tell one roadster from another unless it’s really obvious.
    As others have said, lots of visual clues once you get to know Factory Five. I don't claim to be an expert on all the brands that are out there. But maybe one of the most obvious in my experience is the frame itself. Factory Five frames, from the beginning, were 4-inch tubes (like the originals) and an X-frame on the front for the front suspension. The X-frame members on Mk4's (the latest version) are round. Previous versions still had the "X" configuration, but the frame members themselves were square. Others can correct me (and I'm sure they will) but I haven't seen any other brand quite like it. Many are a space frame without the distinctive parallel 4-inch tubes. Also, from my experience, Factory Five is one of the few that has the radiator at an angle. With the hood open, you should be able to pick up these clues. This is a Mk4 frame picture from FF's website. Earlier versions may not be exactly the same, but will be similar. https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte.../01/mkBA48.jpg.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark3 and older had a 2 inch roll bar. I think FFR was the only one that big.
    mark3 and older have bolts through the lower body on both sides and the front openings.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about the previous 3 generations but my Mk-IV has a chassis number stamped into the square tube at the base of the dashboard to the left of the steering column.

F5R = Factory Five Racing
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-17-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    Sort of, but the Factory Five Mk4 profile is not like the Mk1,2,3 which is shown.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The old black bodies and early red bodies had mold numbers on the upper trunk flange but current ones do not.
    Jeff, my gray MK2 body has a number on the upper trunk flange, and I have never known for sure what the number indicates. I have never given a thought that there was a possibility of more than one mold. I always thought that it was sort of coded date or production number, but a mold number makes more sense.

Thanks.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades