Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: POR-15 Surface Prep Question

Post Thanks / Like

POR-15 Surface Prep Question

Hi All. I have a quick (and likely stupid) question...

I've never used POR15 before, but ordered the kit from amazon which arrives today. I see that it includes some kind of metal prep / etching primer as part of the kit. I plan on using this to paint the cast section of the IRS differential tonight. My question is that the differential (bought from FFR) came painted from the factory. I assume I need to strip that paint off to get the POR products to adhere properly. Is that correct?

Also, is there a recommended brand of clear topcoat? I see POR makes one, but I did not purchase that.

Thanks,
    Jason
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to be able to help too much, but I thought I'd chime in.

First, please don't apologize for asking questions. We've all learned as we went along. Questions are good.

Building this car was my first time with POR-15 too. Now I use it for a lot of things. I purchased the spray can, and just spray it on top of whatever I'm painting. I haven't used the primer. My rear was from a junk yard (Not IRS) and it had a lot of surface rust. I cleaned the entire rear end with brake cleaner, and sprayed several coats of the POR-15 on it, and it's still on there just fine. But mine really needed it, and your differential has been newly painted (if I understand correctly). It doesn't come in contact with anything during it's life (hopefully), so I wonder if you need to paint it again. If you're happy with the appearance of the painted differential and you want to put clear on top of it, just add several coats of POR-15 clear coat on top of the already painted item.

HTH
    Last edited by DadofThree; 09-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    First I've heard of the IRS differential received painted. Are you sure? Would be interested in a picture if you could post one. Whether the iron case (which is the one I believe FF supplies) or the aluminum case, every one I've seen and used was unfinished. The iron case version turns rust orange almost immediately, which is the reason many of us paint it. If yours is already painted, maybe don't even mess with it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    POR means Paint Over Rust. Wire brush the loose stuff of whatever you plan to coat with POR-15 and make sure there isn't any grease, oil, silicone, etc. and brush or spray the stuff on. It's very forgiving and as long as you don't try to recoat it when it's tacky, will self-level to a nice smooth finish. You should use top-coat if the area you are treating will be exposed to sunlight as POR-15 has no UV protection and will fade. I've never used primer or top coat and everything still looks like it did the day I applied it.

P.S. wear gloves! If you get this stuff on your skin, plan to wear it for a couple of weeks!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    POR is for Paint over rust as others have said. I am currently using it and have found if it does not have rust on it, as mine does not, the surface should be cleaned really well then scuffed really well. It will need something to adhere to and the scuffing gives it better adhesion. I tested with the scuffing and without and the scuffed was MUCH better.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    First I've heard of the IRS differential received painted. Are you sure? Would be interested in a picture if you could post one. Whether the iron case (which is the one I believe FF supplies) or the aluminum case, every one I've seen and used was unfinished. The iron case version turns rust orange almost immediately, which is the reason many of us paint it. If yours is already painted, maybe don't even mess with it.
    Pretty sure... Here ya go:
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like undercoating. I'd probably just install it as is and call it done.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

8. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, that's a factory coating. Evidenced partly by the factory handwriting on the case. Same as on previous NIB versions. Interesting change from our friends at Ford. Like I said before, the main reason most of us were painting them was to hide the orange rust that starts the day after they're built. I'd be inclined to leave it as is as well.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

10. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great timing on this post as I was planning to POR15 a few things this weekend including the diff. Mine came with the undercoating as well and I had the same question, so thanks for beating me to the punch! Would duplicolor's engine enamel gloss clear be sufficient or should I look to something else to seal it up?
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    This would've helped but looks like some insight has eliminated the need.

FYI thinning out the second coat of POR 15 really makes a nice smooth finish coat, similar to a powder coat finish.

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Technic...ion_ep_62.html

13. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another similar product. Also in silver

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

Chassis Saver
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

15. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    PREP ! That's funny. Once you use it you will find that it sticks to EVERYTHING ! Were rubber gloves, put down cardboard, take off your shoes before you go in the house.....etc.....etc....etc...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I took everyones advice and left the undercoat on it. I cleaned it up with some acetone and hit it with some clear coat (the duplicolor ceramic that you mentioned) and it looks great!

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    Great timing on this post as I was planning to POR15 a few things this weekend including the diff. Mine came with the undercoating as well and I had the same question, so thanks for beating me to the punch! Would duplicolor's engine enamel gloss clear be sufficient or should I look to something else to seal it up?
    Last edited by Traveller; 09-17-2019 at 09:02 PM.

18. Likes DadofThree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love it... Looks like I wont be using the POR15 this time, but I am anxious to use this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    PREP ! That's funny. Once you use it you will find that it sticks to EVERYTHING ! Were rubber gloves, put down cardboard, take off your shoes before you go in the house.....etc.....etc....etc...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jeep frame that I painted with POR15 was sandblasted with no other prep and it still looks great. I did top coat on any surface that saw direct sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was the same, I just clear coated it and moved on.

Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.