Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 35 truck bed issues

Post Thanks / Like

35 truck bed issues

IMG_20190916_161456079.jpgIMG_20190916_161231721.jpgIMG_20190916_155028359.jpg

Having difficulty getting bed to square up and fit correctly. One side gets close and then the other is off.

The inside of tailgate doesn't look right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loosen up all bed panels and find the happy medium. The roll pan sticking up behind the tailgate needs to be marked with a Sharpie trimmed...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, will do

Post Thanks / Like
    How did your bed come out? Any advise? I'm starting on mine tomorrow or Monday. Want to completely finish bodywork on hood and cowl first. I have everything set and am praying I can get it all back the same after taking apart for paint!

The cab confuses me the most. It has that huge 2" or so lip on the back but seems like we need to trim that down to about 1/2" so the bed will mount forward enough? What did you do there?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    How did your bed come out? Any advise? I'm starting on mine tomorrow or Monday. Want to completely finish bodywork on hood and cowl first. I have everything set and am praying I can get it all back the same after taking apart for paint!

The cab confuses me the most. It has that huge 2" or so lip on the back but seems like we need to trim that down to about 1/2" so the bed will mount forward enough? What did you do there?
    Yes you will have to trim it. Check out build threads of finished trucks for hints on how to go forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    I trimmed the roll pan to fit flush with bed sides but now I am stuck on how I want the rear to look wit ha fixed tailgate or not. Pondering

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a fixed tailgate myself. I don’t plan on hauling things or sittin on it. I bolted it to the roll pan and quarters. I cut my roll pan in half and had to extend the tailgate to meet the quarters. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    rob,

Do you have pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my truck together a few months ago then disassembled it for paint I’m just getting back into working on it after almost four months off of it due to my busy season at work. I have everything painted other than the doors and cab I’m fitting the door glass and shaved handles, Bluetooth sound at I’m hanging from the roll bar. Here’s a couple pics of my tailgate. E08BCEEE-5CB5-469C-8089-4854F4F2E471.jpgE08BCEEE-5CB5-469C-8089-4854F4F2E471.jpg. I will pm you maybe I can text you a video. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my truck together a few months ago then disassembled it for paint I’m just getting back into working on it after almost four months off of it due to my busy season at work. I have everything painted other than the doors and cab I’m fitting the door glass and shaved handles, Bluetooth sound at I’m hanging from the roll bar. Here’s a couple pics of my tailgate. E08BCEEE-5CB5-469C-8089-4854F4F2E471.jpgE08BCEEE-5CB5-469C-8089-4854F4F2E471.jpg. I will pm you maybe I can text you a video. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0VmMJJpzAB0. This may help but I’m no pro at doing videos

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video. Thanks for the help and video. I did not bolt my roll pan in. I cut to glass it in for a smooth look. Maybe a mistake on my part.

Post Thanks / Like
    While we are talking bed issues. How are ya'll mounting the top edge of the bed front? To close the gap mine has to be pulled up with a strap, but I dont see a good way other than welding it to attach them together where that gap will stay closed.

IMG_2572.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I shot a # 8. Sheet metal screw on each side of mine that way I could R&I everything for paint. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I am in the same boat. A screw will work but wanted something better. Not sure what yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robodent View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0VmMJJpzAB0. This may help but I’m no pro at doing videos
    cool video Rob... Looks great Cant wait to see it with paint. Question... I haven't worked much with the urethane paints. (I learned back in the hand rubbed lacquer days) Yep....I'm old In those days I would simply wet sand the gaps down during the progressive paint/block process till the last coats to keep buildup to minimum and less prone to chipping. I have my hood to cab cowl gaps at about 3/16". How much more do you think I should add for paint buildup? I'd hate to paint and then find out all the gaps are hitting and chipping! The top will be 2 stage gloss black urethane ( 2-3 coats) with 5 coats clear so I can wet sand flat and polish.

Any guidance appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question about the gaps. All may parts are painted other than the cab and doors. The doors on my build are the only moving parts for me. Most guys use a paint stick as a gap guide. I’m real close to disassembling my doors and cab for paint so I will be dialing things in better soon. Rob