BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Completed Truck, Average Grill Height to Ground

Post Thanks / Like

Completed Truck, Average Grill Height to Ground

Hello:

As you can guess from the title of my post, my concern is ground clearance for the radiator shell. I would like input from anyone with a completed, or mostly completed truck.

I have some ideas on how to improve the clearance but would like to compare data with others first.

As my truck currently sits, with a semi finished BBC between the front wheels, my rad shell to ground distance is 3-3/4”. My frame height, if anything, is higher than the recommendation.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you running the 35 grille or the new “deluxe” 32 front end? I haven’t taken delivery of my kit yet, but I went with the 32 front end just because it appears to sit further back closer to the wheels and will not hand out so far in front. I’m interested in seeing what kind of mods you come up with. I’m also concerned about kissing the grille on our terrible roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the standard ‘35 style grill. At the time it was the only grill offered, plus I need to run fenders (at least when going to register the truck...) in my province.

As a side note I’m now not planning to use the running boards as they also seem very low.

Post Thanks / Like
    My standard grill is at 4", and would like to crank my shocks up more, but mounted them in the recommended down adjuster position, which makes them impossible to adjust above freeload position. Also, found out the running boards will not clear my 4 post lift ramp without 8' boards on the approach. Car is really too low.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply.
    I’m testing a way this evening of raising the grill by approximately an inch and a half...by using the bottom grill side bolt holes as the top ones on the mounting brackets.

Will set the cab back on tomorrow and test a temporary mounting of the front fenders to (try and...) determine if the additional bodywork is worth the effort. Will post some results and photos by the weekend.

A side note, it may well be a bit much, and I should just get one inch on the grill and a half to one inch from jacking the up the suspension. That would still give me 6” vs 4” grill-ground height.

Any thoughts from the forum???
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 09-18-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    CEE1DC17-CEF4-4989-A55C-EFD12D56F1AA.jpgHere is an idea of what I meant
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 09-19-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Photo didnÂ’t show up first try

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a rough mock up of things. I believe it’s sitting 1/2” too high. More experimentation required. 6D1DD54A-227D-4A39-BCC6-F88D905380F4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Landymore View Post
    Here is a rough mock up of things. I believe it’s sitting 1/2” too high. More experimentation required. 6D1DD54A-227D-4A39-BCC6-F88D905380F4.jpg
    That just might work. How foes it affect the hood/cowl alignment? I think its to late for me as I have hacked up the cowl and glassed back together

Post Thanks / Like
    The change in grill mounting will affect the front of the hood height at a 1:1 ratio...ie in the mock up shown the front of the hood will be 1-1/2” higher.

I’m not using a hood as that is where part of my turbo system will be... LOL

Will post more mock-up photos as availability of friends to help permits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photos with cab and one fender. I think it will work without running boards, but have some weird ideas with those to salvage part of them that I’m going to test also. Input/comments anyone? B41D7DFD-BDC5-4384-8F38-A01010C246F4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a look at my new grill heightAC6AC2D5-B97E-4372-B44D-B771A4684B1F.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    A great day for working indoors too, got my garage furnace up and running Friday afternoon, this photo was taken today. (eyeroll)

A2473AFD-3EDA-43F2-B9C7-29B5F3A33130.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 09-29-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Still trying to figure out rotated photos

Post Thanks / Like
    A great day for working indoors too, got my garage furnace up and running Friday afternoon, this photo was taken today. (eyeroll)

A2473AFD-3EDA-43F2-B9C7-29B5F3A33130.jpg
    Just an FYI, If your having an issue with rotated photos, there are two solutions, if you have an older system (Windows 7) and it shows you the photo is sideways or rotated, then simply rotate it and then change the name by adding a letter or number to the end. If its a newer system (Windows 10 or newer) you need to change a setting which tells you how it's rotated as Win10 rotates it for you based on the encrypted setting from the photo itself, if you change that setting it will look wrong in your preview but will be correct when posted (I know typical Win10 and Mac!). I know that sounds weird but having both types of systems, o;ld at work and new at home, I have run into the same problem and that's how I solved it.
    Good luck!!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the hints! I’m just using an IPhone 7 with iOS 12.4.1. The photos appear right way around in my phone. The last edit I did, I rotated the photo sideways, saved it, and then rotated it back again. That’s the correct photo in the last post.
    Technology, eh?
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is impressive height.
    Here’s a look at my new grill heightAC6AC2D5-B97E-4372-B44D-B771A4684B1F.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t know if I’ll be able to keep all of it but know we can give up a bit somewhere if upcoming project ‘surprises’ make it necessary.