FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Splash Guard Question - On or Aft Of 3/4" Tube

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Splash Guard Question - On or Aft Of 3/4" Tube

I know the manual says to install the rear splash guards on top of the 3/4" vertical tube, but I see where several builds place them just aft of it - which looks to me to be a better spot, especially if I want to install nutserts and make it removable.

Any cons to moving it aft? What do you experts say?

Much obliged.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure (99.9%, but it's been a while), I went into the 3/4" tube, and used nutcerts (rivnuts). I also made supports for the lower sections of the splash guards. Everything is removable, machine screws and nutcerts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 09-24-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

3. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm no expert, but I place two nutserts on the inside of the frame to hold the panel in place and also attached it at the bottom of the fiberglass lip. Having had to replace the gas tank gasket already, those threaded fasteners were a breeze to remove and reinstall. Place them where you want them and press on.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

5. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did rivnuts in the same place and pattern as would do rivets. It is nice that they are removable.

7. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I decided to mount the rear splashguards slightly aft of the vertical 3/4 to avoid contact with the bolt head circled in red.

4143DD92-008C-4230-A6AC-9E8C615DCA9E.jpeg

009B1AC5-119F-4996-9190-28A444DA5F1A.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 09-26-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.