Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Will the Sparco Evo or Evo II fit in my gen 3 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Will the Sparco Evo or Evo II fit in my gen 3 Coupe

Am getting ready on my seat choice but want to make sure they will fit. Have been looking at the Sparco Evo or Evo II.
    Will they fit in the gen 3 Coupe though?

Appreciate the input as always, thx guys,

Tim
    Aruba

Post Thanks / Like

Image I forgot

Tim,

We built chassis 009 of the Gen3 Coupe a couple of years ago and struggled to find a seat that fit. The biggest challenge in the coupe is the width of the shoulder bolsters. The Evo and Evo II is that they are 610 and 590 mm wide and I'm pretty sure this isn't going to fit. As a matter of perspective We used the Sparco R100 seat which is on 521mm. Dimensional chart for Sparco seats can be found here: https://www.sparcousa.com/evo . A couple of good things about the R100 is that is less than half the price of the EVO, is very comfortable and is pretty good looking. I've attached a pic and you can see that the seat just fits inside the body.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.DSC_1856 (sm).jpg
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,
    I've just installed in my Gen 3 Coupe the Corbeau Evolution X seats (non-reclining) and they fit fine. At the shoulder bolsters the width is 21.5 in. = 546.1 mm.
    With my seats oriented and mounted as they are, which is as close to the way EdwardB has in his Gen 3 Coupe, the width and thus positioning of the outside "corners" of the side bolsters clear the cage with no problems.

What are potential issues are: for the drivers seat (mounted square in the chassis), the top outside corner of the headrest touches the horizontal section of the roll cage, but just barely and totally acceptable. The orientation of the passenger seat has a bit of an angle to it and there are no contacts with the roll cage.

One other area of seat mount concern to check out is the "tight" spacing of the two floor mounted (welded in place) seat belt attachment tabs of the Coupe. For my Corbeau Evolution X seats, the internal frame's width at its lowest few inches seems to be exactly the inside width of the Coupe's seat belt attachment tabs. There is an interference fit which prevents the seat from being pushed all the way back in it's track. My solution was to slightly bend these two tabs slightly outward using a large crescent wrench. I bent each approx. 3/8" outward as measured at the top of each tab. Since the seats are mounted on a mounting frame just the top half of the seat belt tabs were in need of spreading. I gained almost 1-1/4 inches of further rear travel of the seat with this tabs bending before the seat back was 1/4" of touching a major roll cage tube. I have to still allow space for the alum. panel and carpeting.

One more word about my above comments and experiences is that this seat fitting/mounting is without the body on the car. So, there might be interference situations to come, but I'll trust EdwardB's Gen 3 Coupe build using the same seats and he had no reported issues when the body was put on the chassis.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm the 2019 EVO QRT will fit, I have it in my car now. I am currently researching if the EVO II US will fit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    I can confirm the 2019 EVO QRT will fit, I have it in my car now. I am currently researching if the EVO II US will fit
    Thx for the feedback, you have a picture with them in the car?
    Rgds Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    90943CD0-67F3-43E8-9AF8-5B60AC824065.jpg

Here is a link to two dozen pictures. Of the EVO

https://share.icloud.com/photos/069E...B9ECjlrKA#Home

Saturday I am going to have more answers on the EVO 2 US. Galen from Werks 2 in Burbank CA a Sparco dealer is coming to my house to help me figure out if they will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    P100DHG - Awesome, thanks for the pics. Interested to hear more about fitment of other seats too, keep us posted.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday I am going to have more answers on the EVO 2 US. Galen from Werks 2 in Burbank CA a Sparco dealer is coming to my house to help me figure out if they will work.
    Did you try the seats with the floor brackets? I like the look and would like to go this way also, but have to be sure....since I live in Aruba. Have to get it right the 1st time

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for all that feedback by the way!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t have the brackets or the slide rails yet once we sort out sizes Saturday (tomorrow) I’ll order all that. I’ll keep you updated and in the end you’ll know for sure. I’ll be your test subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    36B44B41-2104-43C0-B561-233AE4406A04.jpgI’m running the sparco evo 2us sears in my gens 3 coupe, they fit but are really tight. I’m had brackets that were meant for a 2015 mustang. Just had to make custom mounting locations on the chassis.
    Last edited by j65mustang; 09-23-2019 at 09:59 PM.

12. Likes timsmitaruba, P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t have the brackets or the slide rails yet once we sort out sizes Saturday (tomorrow) I’ll order all that. I’ll keep you updated and in the end you’ll know for sure. I’ll be your test subject.
    I owe you a beer(s) man!! Appreciate this very much indeed

Post Thanks / Like

Am very curious, how did it go, did the Evo 2 fit? And how about the floor mounts?
    Thx in advance, Tim

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to see someone already tried this. I got a set of free Evo2s so I mocked them up yesterday to see. They're TIGHT but I think I can make them work.
    --Nick Skaats--
    Gen 3 Coupe #80 - LS1/T56 - SCCA Bound
    Link To Album For Updates

Post Thanks / Like
    How does one get a free set of Sparco Evo seats... even if they’re expired they’ve gotta be worth something. Hope you can make some mounts for them...post pics when you do!

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    How does one get a free set of Sparco Evo seats... even if they’re expired they’ve gotta be worth something. Hope you can make some mounts for them...post pics when you do!
    I installed them with some Schroth harnesses in a customer's 2018 ZL1 Camaro. Car got totaled on course, so he donated the seats. They're in perfect shape. I thought about grabbing the AP Racing brakes off the car too, but felt they'd be a bit much for this project.
    --Nick Skaats--
    Gen 3 Coupe #80 - LS1/T56 - SCCA Bound
    Link To Album For Updates

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Grid-Q in the end. I know that doesn’t answer the question between EVO or EVOII but I tried both. Check out me build thread. I tried 4 seats, EVO, EVOII US, QRT-R and the Grid-Q. They will work well with sliders and will not rub the carpet from what I can tell. Watch me eat my words down the road, though I’m not doing carpet I am doing leather so the stakes are higher. Yikes

Post Thanks / Like
    The EVOII-US is not the same as the regular EVOII. It is slightly larger for the “American physique”.... they claim.

20. Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    The EVOII-US is not the same as the regular EVOII. It is slightly larger for the “American physique”.... they claim.
    Very good point and clarification I got sloppy there. Also, I just so happen to have said physique