FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: paint protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 3M film on the Mkll and on my BMW. On a normal production car they pre-cut the materai from a template and just place it on the car. With the Coupe it is all custom and it has to be cut to fit on the car with a razor blade, some installers are afraid of cutting the paint. Plus with the compound curves they are concerned with the fit. I have show paint on it and it is big $$ so I am concerned too. I am looking for anyone who has experience with it on their Coupe.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on professionally installed 3M clear PPF on the front with laser scan and cut. Probably not the whole hood due to expense and the need for multiple pieces leaving seams. Behind the wheels, I plan on aluminum cut to size and installed on the front-facing side of the pontoon with bedliner on top as well as the splash guard surfaces. I suspect that PPF behind the wheels will not be adequate. I could be wrong. I would like everything to disappear(black) inside the wheel well due to all the surfaces, seams, and seals that make it all come together.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis500 View Post
    I plan on professionally installed 3M clear PPF on the front with laser scan and cut. Probably not the whole hood due to expense and the need for multiple pieces leaving seams. Behind the wheels, I plan on aluminum cut to size and installed on the front-facing side of the pontoon with bedliner on top as well as the splash guard surfaces. I suspect that PPF behind the wheels will not be adequate. I could be wrong. I would like everything to disappear(black) inside the wheel well due to all the surfaces, seams, and seals that make it all come together.
    I thought about it too with all the rock chips and all. At some point, does it just make sense to use a full wrap and not even paint the car? almost everybody's car is garaged anyhow so I doubt they'll get much sunfade.