Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: paint protection

Post Thanks / Like

paint protection

I am looking into different types of paint protection for the hood and behind the wheels. We have lots of loose stones on the road around here and I want something to keep the stone chips to a minimum.
    Looking at stuff like 3M and spray on film. With the curves on the hood the 3M film will have to be cut. What have you guys done
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have heard of a clear bra like a wrap that some guys put on the front. It's what I am considering for my Cobra. Not far enough along in my build but thought I would throw it out there for what it's worth.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 3M film on the Mkll and on my BMW. On a normal production car they pre-cut the materai from a template and just place it on the car. With the Coupe it is all custom and it has to be cut to fit on the car with a razor blade, some installers are afraid of cutting the paint. Plus with the compound curves they are concerned with the fit. I have show paint on it and it is big $$ so I am concerned too. I am looking for anyone who has experience with it on their Coupe.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on professionally installed 3M clear PPF on the front with laser scan and cut. Probably not the whole hood due to expense and the need for multiple pieces leaving seams. Behind the wheels, I plan on aluminum cut to size and installed on the front-facing side of the pontoon with bedliner on top as well as the splash guard surfaces. I suspect that PPF behind the wheels will not be adequate. I could be wrong. I would like everything to disappear(black) inside the wheel well due to all the surfaces, seams, and seals that make it all come together.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis500 View Post
    I plan on professionally installed 3M clear PPF on the front with laser scan and cut. Probably not the whole hood due to expense and the need for multiple pieces leaving seams. Behind the wheels, I plan on aluminum cut to size and installed on the front-facing side of the pontoon with bedliner on top as well as the splash guard surfaces. I suspect that PPF behind the wheels will not be adequate. I could be wrong. I would like everything to disappear(black) inside the wheel well due to all the surfaces, seams, and seals that make it all come together.
    I thought about it too with all the rock chips and all. At some point, does it just make sense to use a full wrap and not even paint the car? almost everybody's car is garaged anyhow so I doubt they'll get much sunfade.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the Xpel and am pleased with the results. After the paint had cured, I had the nose, hood and spats of my car done by a local shop that only does this type of work (Capital Autobahnd in Richmond) . Interestingly they had a 50th anniversary slabside Cobra in for a full body Xpel wrap when I talked to them about my car. The front was done 12,000 miles ago and still looks great. It has definitely stopped rock scratches. This year I put the APE hard top on the car. In preparation for that, I had them do the entire rear from the cockpit back, including the trunk. Overkill for protecting the paint from the hardtop rubbing but I passed a construction zone and a worker using a blower shot a rock onto the rear of the car. The shop was able the use a single piece on the body from the spats to the rear level of the bottom holes of the quick jacks. The trunk was also a single piece. As noted above, it is not cheap, but after putting all that money into the car and having a great 3 stage paint job, it was worth it to me for piece of mind.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.