Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: fletch's intro

Post Thanks / Like

fletch's intro

Hi gang.
    Here’s my story. I’m 43 and have wanted to build my own car ever since I saw a sexy FFR roadster ad in the back of Popular Mechanics or some similar magazine. While I don’t remember exactly, it was probably during my teenage years…back when I spent more than a few hours contemplating the improbable thing that was the Lamborghini Countach.

Building my own car always seemed like an impossible dream, but this past winter I took some extra time off work and stumbled on one of those ads again. I told my wife that I’d always wanted to build a car and she said I should put together a budget and then give it a shot. At this point, the only possible car for me was the 818. Its price point was low enough to be feasible for us. I summoned all the fortitude I could muster, then began to dream about the idea. I trolled the forum a bit and began to get really excited about the possibility. Eventually, I started gathering info and decided I’d give it a go. There really was no reason to wait. This was (and remains) a completely impractical decision. As you all know, there are fantastic cars out there ready for purchase. Why build your own? Did I mention, my wife also had me make a list of all the reasons why? (I am married to an amazing woman.)

Here are a few of the goals I came up with:
    • Learn new skills - welding, assembly, fab, paint, wiring, all sorts of other things
    • Spend time together with my kids - show them that the complex things around them are really just combinations of simple things
    • Solve problems together
    • Have the satisfaction of doing a good job
    • Build a working car
    • Have fun with the research, decisions, build, and driving
    • Stretch goal - build a car that I will want to drive regularly

I’ve got 4 kids aged 10 to 15. Our house is busy, but my wife is behind this and will be helping me keep at it. To some degree, this will be a family project. At least, that’s my hope. We’ll see which of the kids jump in and participate.

While I’m a pretty handy guy, I am definitely not a “car guy.” I change my own oil and have done some very minor bolt-on mods, but for the most part, I’ve left my cars as is. Professionally, I am an engineer, but more of a generalist. Home renovation doesn’t scare me in the least, but mechanical assemblies with fine tolerances are a different beast altogether. All this to say, I’m in way over my head and am going to need lots of help from people on this forum and elsewhere. I’m learning to ask for help more easily. And it was quickly apparent reading this forum that you guys are a great resource and support. I’m thinking particularly about the encouragement many of you have offered to Frank818 during his recent challenges.

Frank, if you’re reading this, please know your perseverance is an inspiration to people like me who are far less skilled and ambitious than you. Keep pressing on. You’ve got lots of folks that believe in you.

I’ve also been grateful for the kindness shown to me by Bob_n_Cincy. I contacted him many months ago about his experiences with insurance and a teenager. As I mentioned before, my oldest is 15 and is on the cusp of earning his provisional license here in NM. I have many more good things to say about Bob, but I’ll save those for another thread.

Anyway, thank you all for your willingness to share your knowledge & experience on this forum. People like me wouldn’t have the guts to try this without people like you.
    -fletch

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don’t have much in the way of experience but welcome aboard! Can’t wait to see the build. I’m in somewhat the same boat in that I’m using this to learn all those skills I’ve never had but have always wanted. Cheers!
    Last edited by doddmoore; 09-18-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Fletch!
    In over your head? I doubt it, but it is somewhat overwhelming when you stop to think. As a fellow engineer I'll suggest that you're likely great at problem solving and methodical thinking - that's gonna come in handy to tackle the build one bit at a time. The forum of course is a great resource and very supportive. I look forward to seeing your progress!
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! It sounds like you're doing this for all the right reasons and to build something with the kids, that's amazing. I've certainly learned a lot throughout my build and from the forum in particular. The cheapest route will definitely be to buy a donor vehicle but it will also take time and space to disassemble it and sell the unused parts. You will need to buy a few tools if you don't already have them. The biggest advice I could give is to visit a another builder and get a first hand look at some of the details. It can be a long journey but, trust me, it is definitely worth it. We're here to help you along the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome.
    Look into insurance. I used one of the supporting vendors for insurance and am very happy with their service and rates. They did have a waiver to exclude any drivers under 26. Not a problem for me but if you are going to involve the kids in the build Id check to see what it would cost for them to be able to drive it. Maybe that’s not your plan but worth looking into.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! When ever you have a hitch/aggravation (maybe never ) just remind yourself it is a hobby, doing it for fun and make that challenge a goal to overcome and be proud of. Wish I had kids here working with me - that would be priceless for all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys! Thanks for the encouraging words. I really appreciate them.

Steve, insurance remains an issue, but I've got some ideas and a few leads to follow up on in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Hey guys! Thanks for the encouraging words. I really appreciate them.

Steve, insurance remains an issue, but I've got some ideas and a few leads to follow up on in that regard.
    Fletch,

I went with Classic Collectors Ins. I think they are a sponsor on the forum. They know these cars and their rates we very reasonable. Something to consider....get the insurance once your kit is delivered. your homeowners insurance typically only covers $1,000 of extra stuff that may be in your garage. (Auto parts). With a complete kit and then a motor, trans and rear end you have more like $25,000 to $35,000 of auto parts. Something bad happens and all you'll get is $1,000. Classic Collectors wrote me a policy to cover the parts while building and then once it was on the road converted it into regular auto insurance. worth it IMO.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Welcome.
    Look into insurance. I used one of the supporting vendors for insurance and am very happy with their service and rates. They did have a waiver to exclude any drivers under 26. Not a problem for me but if you are going to involve the kids in the build Id check to see what it would cost for them to be able to drive it. Maybe that’s not your plan but worth looking into.
    -Steve
    I had a terrific time disassembling a donor and building our 818 with my sons, then 16 and 18, now 19 and 21. We have then suffered the incredible disappointment of not finding an insurer willing to cover them, even if I am riding with them. If anyone finds a solution, let us know.