Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Tennessee Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee Registration

I am getting ready to try to get my car registered. I have done as much research online as I can on the state website, and the SEMA website but neither lay out a clear process, or what exactly is needed for a kit car. I have called two different County Clerk offices, and messaged the state office and so far have received 3 different responses on what was needed. Some on here have said it was a very easy straightforward process that took 15 minutes, but 2 of the clerks I spoke to gave other responses. I am hoping when I go to the office it will be easy, but in the event that I get a different answer, has anyone written anything down on the process so I can show them what exactly is needed?
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    It is easy if you find someone in a county clerk's office who knows what to do.

The hard part is finding a county clerks office with that person.

You need the MCO (manufacturer's certificate of origin) , receipts (for sales tax), pictures (for documentation) and be an expert on:

"T.C.A. 55-3-130. Title to replica model custom-built car.

Title to a custom-built car for which no certificate of title has ever been issued by the division may be titled as the make, model and year of the manufactured motor vehicle that the custom-built car most closely resembles; provided, however, that the car is intended to replicate the make, model and year of the manufactured vehicle; and provided further, that the title clearly identifies the custom-built car as a replica."

Most offices typically do a lot more rebuild / salvage titles - DO NOT LET ANYONE FILL OUT REBUILD/SALVAGE TITLE PAPERWORK WITH YOUR MCO - it is practically impossible to undo once executed.

When you find the right county clerk's office with someone who knows what you're talking about - it takes less than 45 minutes and you leave with a license plate (antique plate if you like).

A TN Dept of Revenue agent will make arrangements to verify your chassis serial number and apply your TN issued VIN sticker (should be the same as your FFR serial number) in the following 4-8 weeks.

Again - it's easy when you find someone who knows what they're doing - and near impossible if you're trying to tell them what state law requires they're going to do for you.

A retired friend of mine took that advice as a challenge and the first six offices he went to insisted he needed to fill out salvage title paperwork - in the seventh office, he recognized that he had found "the right guy" - done in 45 minutes and out with an antique plate - called me to report back and gave me the guy's name and office location - I went the next day and got my paperwork done - I'd been putting it off for a while - done in 45 minutes, and out with an antique plate.
    Last edited by mike223; 09-18-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: P.S.

3. Thanks Ducky2009 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the people I spoke to definitely went down the salvage title route. Thanks for that advice, definitely don't want to deal with a salvage title. I actually printed out the statute you reference to bring with me with my other documents. One other mentioned someone coming to apply VIN Number.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rychi1 View Post

I actually printed out the statute you reference to bring with me with my other documents.
    That should at least convince them that you know what you're talking about - then maybe they will ask around and point you toward the right person.

Post Thanks / Like
    To aid future builders, I stopped by the local clerks office to speak to someone. She actually had done a kit car recently so had a vague memory of what needed to happen. She even called the state to confirm. She provided me the county clerks guide (basically their guide for what they are supposed to do, link below) that said I have to fill out VIN application similar to the process you would go through to get a rebuilt title, but she was clear that it would be a "Replica" title not a rebuilt. I called another person at the state who agreed that was what I needed to do. However after some further discussion, I made it clear that the Car already had a Serial Number and came with an MSO, at which point she said, oh well then you just need to go back to your local office and apply for a title. So I will go back and see if that works.

https://tnclerks.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...ebuilt-Vehicle
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rychi1 View Post

However after some further discussion, I made it clear that the Car already had a Serial Number and came with an MSO, at which point she said, oh well then you just need to go back to your local office and apply for a title. So I will go back and see if that works.

https://tnclerks.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...ebuilt-Vehicle
    Ok - a few things worth noting:

1- Here is a quote from the state website you linked - "The MSO provided for the replica or custom-built vehicle will be used to identify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)".

2- The "Application for Motor Vehicle Identification Certification for Rebuilt Vehicles" linked from that page is something I definitely did not have to fill out.

3- I do remember one piece of paperwork did require a short statement on how the vehicle was obtained / came to be + who put it together (a very short paragraph / couple of sentences)

4- I'm a little surprised they don't have the special "replica" paperwork linked or a separate guidance page for replica titles.

Good Luck - stop filling out paperwork if you see something you don't like.

If you have too much trouble I will try to reach out to my contact + maybe he could walk them through it over the phone.
    Last edited by mike223; 09-19-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally went back to the DMV office to get my plate. Gave them the MCO, told her the lady at the state said I should be able to title it like any other vehicle, she asked what color it was, I paid my money and had my tags a few minutes later.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    If I buy an uncompleted kit with an MCO in the original purchasers name, but a bill of sale from that purchaser to me, do you think I'll have any problems or additional issues titling in TN? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SliderJack View Post
    If I buy an uncompleted kit with an MCO in the original purchasers name, but a bill of sale from that purchaser to me, do you think I'll have any problems or additional issues titling in TN? Thanks.
    That's exactly what I did and had 0 problem. Not to say it will be that easy for you as opinions vary.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Topfuelhydro View Post
    That's exactly what I did and had 0 problem. Not to say it will be that easy for you as opinions vary.

Steven
    You've got to find someone in your county clerk's office who has a clue what you're trying to accomplish (completely legal).

Those people (cooperative county employees who understand what you're trying to do) can be difficult to find - but they are out there.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone fill out the wrong (salvage) paperwork - because that mistake is nearly impossible to undo.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to update anyone that lives in Tennessee, I just registered and it was a breeze. The clerk took the MSO, made copies of my FFR invoice and other invoices and issued a "replica" type title as a 1965 FFRi MK IV.

I live north of Memphis in Tipton County so PM me if you need some Tennessee help.

Capt B

image (1).jpg
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did body and paint for a Tennessee owner and he got it all done while the car was 600 miles away here with me! No VIN check or inspection of any kind. As Capt said, he walked in with MSO and invoices and walked our titled and registered.

Jeff

14. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I just did body and paint for a Tennessee owner and he got it all done while the car was 600 miles away here with me! No VIN check or inspection of any kind. As Capt said, he walked in with MSO and invoices and walked our titled and registered.

Jeff
    Yes I forgot to say that my car was 500 miles away in Oklahoma getting the paint job done (should have got on your list last year Jeff!).
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle