Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door Sill Plates?

Post Thanks / Like

Door Sill Plates?

Really need a set of door sill plates and I'm having some trouble deciding how to move forward. Hoping someone could give me a few ideas considering the following:

1. Apparently FFR makes a set now, but I've never been a big fan of the FFR logo and they won't make one without the logo. It's possible I might be able to live with it, but does anyone happen to have a good picture of them?
    2. I've looked at the Russ Thompson set, but I want them to wrap around the side to cover the carpet and his don't do that. He's offered to make a set if I send him a template, but I just don't have a ton of time right now.
    3. I could certainly make a set, but I need a metal brake that will handle the 36" or so length, and those aren't cheap.

Is anyone else aware of a source who has made or could make me a set for a Gen III that wrap around the side to cover the carpet? Any other builders out there with the facilities and time to measure and form a set (I'd be your first customer)?
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my own and it was a fun project I thought. Harbor freight has a reasonable brake I think.
    Have not seen these advertised anywhere.
    2A2DF36A-BF8F-4C7E-A8FF-610BB3F28539.jpg
    Then spray painted the Daytona logo
    1F97D091-4593-4F4A-B71A-829FB8E52DB3.jpg

I basically cut the original at the seam. Used the vertical and then used the top as a template for the new piece.
    If you don’t want to buy a brake go to a metal shop and have them do it. Won’t cost to much, but if you have more items to fabricate it might not be bad to get your own. I got the 3 in 1 for $399 and it has been a great addition for my build.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim,

We created some a while ago using brushed S/S and supplied a set to FFR. We laser engraved them with the FFR Logo but we can laser etch them with pretty much any art. I think we made 25 sets and after I had them done I decided that I wanted to redesign them and frankly never got around to it. I put an item on my calendar to take a picture of them tomorrow when I'm at work.

As for the laser etching, we apply a ceramic coating to the Stainless steel and where the laser engraves the part the ceramic fuses to the stainless and is durable and matt black. The unexposed ceramic washes off.

I'll send you more tomorrow.

Chris
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    i made mine using some oxford stainless i have pattern on file
    door sill.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set from Russ, this ia what they look like
    sill plare.jpg
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    Hey Jim,

We created some a while ago using brushed S/S and supplied a set to FFR. We laser engraved them with the FFR Logo but we can laser etch them with pretty much any art. I think we made 25 sets and after I had them done I decided that I wanted to redesign them and frankly never got around to it. I put an item on my calendar to take a picture of them tomorrow when I'm at work.

As for the laser etching, we apply a ceramic coating to the Stainless steel and where the laser engraves the part the ceramic fuses to the stainless and is durable and matt black. The unexposed ceramic washes off.

I'll send you more tomorrow.

Chris
    Chris, I'd be interested in a set if you're willing to make them. Do they curve over the edge to cover the end of the carpet? Basically looking for something like this:

IMG_1011.jpg
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

My originals do not thus I'm not really happy with them. Have on my task list to make cover the inside edge of the door sill. I have to get these going soon as we need to wrap up a couple of builds pretty quickly. We currently have 6 coupe in our shop and I think they are all supposed to get these.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris ,

Make sure they are slightly oversized so the carpet can tuck under.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    If you buy the aluminum and score it lightly with a cut off wheel...not too deep maybe 1/16 of an inch it is possible to clamp it to the edge of a bench and bend it without a brake. I made mine and plan to wrap them or paint them when I get further along. It was a fun simple project that covers the carpet and makes things look much more finished. I like the posting with the turned looking stainless. That is sweet.