Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: door handle for safety lock

Post Thanks / Like

door handle for safety lock

Anyone know of an small door handle that will work on a 1/4" round shaft? For manual door safety lock.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 60's Kid View Post
    Anyone know of an small door handle that will work on a 1/4" round shaft? For manual door safety lock.

Rick
    Rick - Can you supply pics of your (area) of intended use for these? I have several things that I purchased and set aside in my efforts of trying to find something for my safety pins, so I may have something that works or at least may save you from getting something that doesn't.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't seem to get pic to up load? 1/4" shaft at bottom of door to activate safety lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't seem to get pic to up load? 1/4" shaft at bottom of door to activate safety lock.
    Is it similar to what is shown below? I ended up cutting the pin back to set behind the door panel and groove the pin so that it could be actuated by a flat head screwdriver. I then covered the hole in the door with a chrome hole cover cap (not shown, but it can still be removed accessing the pin if need be).

HTH

Pin.jpg

Pin Slotted.jpg

Pin Cut Back.jpg
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking into a completely different approach to this secondary device to secure the door in case of a failure of the bear claw latch. I am sourcing right now a micro linear actuator that can be mounted on the the body side that would have enough of a stroke to engage the door (roughly 75mm). There are various types which can be used however the ones I have found so far you need to manually engage and disengage the pin with a switch. What I am trying to do is have it setup such that if the actuator loses power or the power is removed it retracts. When powered by a switch it would engage into the door, I don't want it to engage automatically, I want it set to a switch to engage it and then when I either turn off the engine it disengages or when I override it with the switch, it disengages. This is the stumbling block that I have now however I may have found a controller that could do the trick. I expect to have it worked out in the next week or two as I need to have it installed possibly before the body goes on (will make it easier to setup).
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

6. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Suic...-System-(Pair)

These can be Ignition Activated/Deactivated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty View Post
    https://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Suic...-System-(Pair)

These can be Ignition Activated/Deactivated.
    These are the ones I used with a few mods...I would still suggest having a manual way to release the pin. Fiberglass shifts a lot...until I adjusted them a bit more, there were times when the pins would engage, but because of the alignment being off slightly, would not dis engage...manually turning was the only way out.

9. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My shaft comes out about the same place as yours Jamie, only right at the bottom of door panel. I just want to operate manually. can't find something to fit 1/4" round shaft
    Last edited by 60's Kid; 01-21-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My shaft comes out about the same place as yours Jamie, only right at the bottom of door panel. I just want to operate manually. can't find something to fit 1/4" round shaft
    That was the same issue I had - trying to find a collar or knob that would not protrude out so far...which is what led me to recessing the pin and slotting to accept a flat head. I ended up using something like this to cover the hole... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...0374/204331367