FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering problem

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering problem

This story has a couple of parts. First, the pulley on the PS pump was misaligned and the belt would start working its way off the pulley and riding on the edge. I dealt with that by moving the pulley out from the pump. I thought I had moved it sufficiently.

Next a squeal developed in the general area of the serpentine belt going around the PS pump. A couple of friends suggested that the noise was in fact the result of a misaligned belt. So, I put a straight edge on the PS pump pulley and checked it against the idler pulley (see second photo). It looked to be a little off still (maybe .030), so back at it with the puller.

Thinking all was well (finally!), fired it up and - still squeals. So Ted (the airplane guy) and I looked again. I sprayed a little bit of WD-40 on the tensioner pulley and - voila! No more squeal. For a minute. It came back. More WD-40, same thing. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the tensioner pulley.

A little more background: Gen2 coyote. The engine showed up in my garage (new, crate engine) in June of 2016. First start was not until 2018. It is only on the road this month. The engine has maybe 40 miles on it, but it is 3 years old.

This is where you come in: is there specific lubrication I should have applied to this tensioning pulley? Could the bearing be shot? Other ideas on what could be causing this squeal?

Here's the pump pulley:

Here's the tensioner I'm talking about:

The left-most pulley is the idler (it seems ok); the pulley on the arm to the right of that is the tensioner I reference. Thanks for your expertise!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased my Coyote engine in Jan 2017. The belt setup on mine looks a little different. The belt tensioner in on the alternator side. Looks like you have two belts. I have one driving everything.

EDITED: I have the FF power steering setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 09-19-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    my tensioner is on the alternator side also just as Ducky shows.
    What power steering setup are you using?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice.

Checking alignment is a good thing.
    Take the belt off and see if the idler, tensioner and accessories run smooth
    Clean first and then de-glaze your pulleys with a Scotchbright pad. WD40 never seems to work for long. Ok for troubleshooting though.
    Replace the belt. It looks a little ragged. Makes a good spare.

I have gone through a couple belts on my 347 in 20k miles. Once they start squealing, everything I have done was temporary at best. I tried the old school soap trick (used to work on V-belts), only got a week or so out of anything. WD40 in desperation, etc. There may be a bit of "they don't make 'em like they used to" going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    my tensioner is on the alternator side also just as Ducky shows.
    What power steering setup are you using?
    I have the FFR power steering rack, Breeze's hoses, and a pump that was installed by Mike Forte. It's a Ford pump. Nevertheless, you are correct, it is different than what you and David have installed. The pump is the only thing that this particular belt powers. The water pump and alternator are run off a separate belt. Based on the straight edge from the pump pulley to the idler, I believe the alignment is correct.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    My advice.

Checking alignment is a good thing.
    Take the belt off and see if the idler, tensioner and accessories run smooth
    Clean first and then de-glaze your pulleys with a Scotchbright pad. WD40 never seems to work for long. Ok for troubleshooting though.
    Replace the belt. It looks a little ragged. Makes a good spare.

I have gone through a couple belts on my 347 in 20k miles. Once they start squealing, everything I have done was temporary at best. I tried the old school soap trick (used to work on V-belts), only got a week or so out of anything. WD40 in desperation, etc. There may be a bit of "they don't make 'em like they used to" going on.
    Just got off the phone with Mike Forte. He agrees on replacing the belt. In fact, he started using a 1/2 inch shorter version about a year ago. So, I got two guys saying "new belt". We'll give it a whirl (after I get it...) and see what happens!

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably not the case for you but I was tracing an intermittent squeak that I thought was PS but ultimately turned out to be the alternator itself making noise as it rotated. Ford performance sent me a new alternator. When you have you belt off spin the alternator just to be sure. Mine is all one belt though. Of course anytime you are hearing the noise your alternator is obviously also rotating even though it is a separate belt.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ducky - so both the grooved side AND the smooth side of the belt ride on the water pump pulley?
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Ducky - so both the grooved side AND the smooth side of the belt ride on the water pump pulley?
    No. The groove side of the belt runs on the top and bottom of the water pump pulley. The two idler and the tensioner pulleys all run on the smooth side
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really have anything specific to add but I do like Forte's 1/2 inch shorter belt idea. The shorter belt will make the tensioner move further so it will be tighter. 20+ years of working on Lexus and I have often been surprised how tight these serpentine belts need to be run. Usually the manufacturers get it right w/ the spring swing arm tensioners, but not always. So, adding in an aftermarket PS pump, and I can see some experimenting would be needed.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.