Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: C5 ABS on GTM

Post Thanks / Like

C5 ABS on GTM

Ok....it has been nearly a decade since I've messed with installing the C5 ABS system on a GTM. If memory serves, I've only done this when installing the C5 engine ECU. I'm currently working on a customer's car where we have replaced the C5 ECU with an aftermarket ECU/Fuel injection system. My question....can the C5 ABS module work to provide ABS if there is no CAN/BUS serial data link between the C5 ECU and the ABS module? Can the ABS module operate just off of the wheel sensor inputs, brake pressure sensor and brake switch input?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that way. I’m adapting a c6 ebcm to our gen 1 with no connection to the c5 pcm. Just an on/off switch for 12v to energize the unit when wanted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Ok....it has been nearly a decade since I've messed with installing the C5 ABS system on a GTM. If memory serves, I've only done this when installing the C5 engine ECU. I'm currently working on a customer's car where we have replaced the C5 ECU with an aftermarket ECU/Fuel injection system. My question....can the C5 ABS module work to provide ABS if there is no CAN/BUS serial data link between the C5 ECU and the ABS module? Can the ABS module operate just off of the wheel sensor inputs, brake pressure sensor and brake switch input?
    Shane,
    IIRC, you can do ABS as stand-alone. The EBTCM will need input form the four wheel sensors, Power, Ground, Switch-On and Brake input. You'll need to verify but I believe the Power Wire is RED, Ground is Black/White, Switched is Brown and Brake is Light Blue.

As you know the traction control will not function and throw some codes, but you'll never see them using the EBTCM as stand-alone.

HTHs
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Vidal!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    As a comment on this, there's plenty of ABS options out there beyond C5 which by reading on Vette forums aren't super popular at least for performance use. One mid engine donor option for ABS is early Boxsters, there are droves of these at pick a part places.