Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clutch pedal stop solutions?

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch pedal stop solutions?

Anyone have a good solution for a wilwood hydraulic clutch pedal stop in a Gen III? I find that I'm constantly hitting the firewall when its fully depressed and I'm sure this will eventually start to deform the thin aluminum where it hits if I really mash on it. Trying to get creative without having to machine or weld anything— ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't help you with an actual stop for the Gen 3 Coupe. Didn't put one in mine. But a quick sanity check. Usually guys add them because the limit of one/both of the hydraulic cylinders is exceeded before the pedal is to the back wall. For two Roadster builds and now the Gen 3 Coupe, all the way to the back wall didn't exceed anything (and the clutch was fully disengaged the way it's supposed to be) so didn't install an actual mechanical stop. For me anyway, and I'm average height (5'-10"), with my seat position my leg is basically straight with the clutch all the way down. I would have to move forward in my seat and really work to get any significant force against the back wall. Even though the aluminum is thin, being attached all the way around is surprisingly strong. Insulation and carpet add a bit of cushion too. I understand your point, but check to see whether it's really a concern. I haven't found it to be. FWIW.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made one using some parts I got at lowes using a ceiling flange and an elevator bolt, parts links below. I also added a nut to lock the elevator bolt in place. I lined it up with the clutch pedal travel and then mounted it. I then adjusted it using the directions from the throw out bearing company, link below. Basically find the point of clutch engagement and then set your clutch stop 1/4 inch past that.

Parts Used:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...Flange/1244077
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8...r-Bolt/3722578

https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/...ies-HRB-V2.pdf
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all!

I hadn't considered your point, edwardb, about it being behind the carpet (and in my case, additional sound and heat insulation layers)— so that will be probably be enough. Maybe at most I'll sandwich a small/thin metal plate between the layers to spread out the force over a little wider area.