Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A word of caution on cable shift.

Post Thanks / Like

A word of caution on cable shift.

I had finally got the car good enough for going to CA referee it is about 30 miles from my house so decided to do a test drive before taking the car for its longest drive, first drive everyone was ok, oh my god this thing gets Hot and is loud, can not use cell phone, no real use for stereo unless it is parted and is off, do not cell call you wont hear anything other than that it drove OK, really did not go past 60 mils.

Here is the bad, next morning ready to go to referee, started the car let it warm up for 5 min or so, and disaster, the car does not go into gear, lot of bad words here....., time was running out to appointment, was not sure what it is, but got it loose after fighting with it, so drove to referee, went through the regular question, did I build it or someone else and so gave then all the docs I had so now waiting. but needed to move the car and will not shift again call shane up (thanks shane for the time) asked if he has seen this, said may be cable shift, I just did not want it to be tranny, but cable shift is second wrose, any way once got done with referee and car still stuck in first ( I left it there when I stopped the car), was almost ready to car the tow truck, but decided to sit in the car with clutch in and wait for the car to warm up and start losing thing up if it is the cable shift, so after about 10 minutes I was ale to move it enough to get it going and go home as fast as I could but traffic was not great so took good 45 minutes, got home turn the car off, sit in the car kept ****ing it so it does not stick.

Today hoping I can fix the cable and thinking the issue might be the outer plastic cover melted around the cable, but after cutting open notice the way it is build the issue can not be outer cover, the issue is the inner PTFE liner and once it is melted the cable is done, you may notice the cable is hard to move to shifting is stiff, that is same issue, only way out replace it and that is hell!

My cable were where not damaged by looking from outside much, going to warp the headers in the car as much as I can and add more protection on the cable, my left to right to totally fine.

Any one replaced this on completed car?

Well make sure you take good care of these cable otherwise it will be hell to replace them plus 200 for cables, the liner should really have higher melting temperature.

Mostafa
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks RR46 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Insulated sleeves are your friend. (link)

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I thought it was the outer cover that was the issue based on forum conversations, but that is not the issue that can melt all it want, as long as inside does not, the inner PTEF should should have higher temp range than the outer, there was not much of outer cover melt down, I did have extra cover over then.

I think the routing had more to do with it than than anything, my other cable is in perfect shape was also covered with same extra cover protection.

WAS LIKE HELL but got it removed will route it like my other cable this time and use the orange firesleeve and hopefully will never see this again.

Also will Wrap Headers as much as I can since there are already in in the car, I have measure temp as high as 192F in back corner where the ECU generally mounts.

Thanks,
    Mostafa