Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternative Wheel Spinner Assembly ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Alternative Wheel Spinner Assembly ?

All

Has anyone come across a completely different spinner assembly for the MK4 wheels ? I just test fitted one of my spinners, made sure everything was clean and free from dirt, yet still managed to get the spinner jammed on the center assembly. In the end had to cut off the spinner.

There has to be a better way to do this. Searching online comes up with many alternatives but just wondering if anyone else has already gone down this path and has a better solution.

mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that. Obviously your choice. But many of us have successfully used those parts. In my case multiple times. I wouldn't be so quick to toss them aside. May you received something that was defective. It happens. Call Factory Five and I'll be they'll work with you to replace. Do the rest go together OK?

One other thing. Not meaning to insult, but I assume you know there are LH and RH threaded spinners and adapters? Any chance you matched the wrong pieces together and that caused the issue?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yep, i already know about the LH and RH threaded components. I had the correct thread on the correct adapter. Spun around a good way but then seemed to hit a hitch in the threading. Perhaps a little heavy handed on my part but i had to get the angle grinder out to cut it off. Wheel is still ok, no damage from what I can see. I haven't even tried fitting the other ones yet.

I know many people have used these parts however they just seem to be a problem waiting to happen once they've been on there a while and have picked up all kinds of dirt. I'll continue to scour the internet for ideas but i'll likely order another spinner assembly from factory five anyway.

I'm hoping there's a way to get this all hooked up without the need for threads
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    I sprayed mine with Teflon silicone spray on the threads and did the O-ring from this thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ux-knock-off-s

Post Thanks / Like
    A little anti-seize works well too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilmore View Post
    A little anti-seize works well too.
    Anti-seize is mandatory.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank is right. Anti seize is mandatory.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the set screws in the spinners. Mine were run in, almost touching. Spinners did not want to come off on trial fit. ,,,backed the set screws up and easy peasy.
    You might be able to spray some lube in the set screw hole, which will put it right on the threads.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What is the best anti-seize to use for this ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Cobra Valley product, Spinner Eaze.
    http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...innereaze.html

This stuff isn't like typical anti seize. Much cleaner to work with.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

Agree. It works great. I also use in in the coil over adjusters to keep them moving easily.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

What's wrong with regular anti-seize? I mean, just one little dab is enough to get on every piece of clothing in your entire wardrobe. :-)
    I keep meaning to order some spinnereaze. Thanks for the reminder.

Pretty much the only thing that galls quicker than stainless steel is aluminum. Perfectly clean is just good welding (galling) prep. AL threads must be lubricated. It sucks that you learned the hard way. Maybe FFR will take pity and help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    What is the best anti-seize to use for this ?
    Put me in the no anti-seize camp. Every car that comes to me gets the wheels removed so after removing about a hundred of 'em I can see a definite trend...the threads don't gall but the paste type anti-seize thickens, draws dust and tends to make spinner removal more difficult than ones where the threads have been left dry or have been installed with a dry graphite type lube such as my favorite--- CRC 3094

https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...-oz-03094.html

After pinning the hub to the wheel with setscrews on a few sets years ago I now go a different route and just shove a piece of pool noodle behind the hub to keep it pushed out, hit the threads with the dry lube and toss the spinner setscrews into thetrash. Never a problem...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    After pinning the hub to the wheel with setscrews on a few sets years ago I now go a different route and just shove a piece of pool noodle behind the hub to keep it pushed out, hit the threads with the dry lube and toss the spinner setscrews into thetrash. Never a problem...

Jeff
    Hey Jeff - just to be clear, you don't mechanically restrain the spinners at all, just count on the pool noodle piece pushing out on the spinner to lock it into the threads? I've been anticipating a chore for drilling the set screws, this would be a great alternative.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    Hey Jeff - just to be clear, you don't mechanically restrain the spinners at all, just count on the pool noodle piece pushing out on the spinner to lock it into the threads? I've been anticipating a chore for drilling the set screws, this would be a great alternative.
    Right. The noodle just puts springlike pressure against the center so that it stays pushed out while you get the spinner started and turned a few threads. Once you have a few turns in it you can pull out on the spinner "wings" while turning them to apply outward pressure to keep the center against the wheel until it's snug. Once it's hand tight give 'em a light tap or two with a plastic mallet and you're done!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on CRC graphite spray and pool noodle. A few months into driving and it seems to work very well, have had the wheels off and on a few times without problem.
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

Post Thanks / Like

Spinner hub lock

This post is for those who track their cars with groups that require the spinners to be safety wired to the wheel or removed. Recently I ran at Sonoma Raceway with the Norcal Shelby Club, and what a pain to have to remove all 4 wheels to remove the spinners and hub.

So I had been putting a dab of RTV on the spinner hub to allow the spinner to be threaded on, but didn't feel comfortable leaving the spinner hubs in the wheels for a track day. I thought about the pool noodle, but with the heat buildup from high speed braking, thought it would probably melt or take a set and let the hub get loose. So removed the spinner hubs for the track day also...pain fighting dried silicone sealer. I need something easier as I get older.

So I made an aluminum ring that "cone point" set screws would dig into the wheel aluminum, and "flat point" set screws that would put pressure on the back of the spinner hub. No chance of the hub coming loose due to heat or vibration on the track. It's also nice that you can rotate the spinner until it lines up with the wheel spokes, then tighten the flat point set screws, go one the same way every time now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I did set screws because I autocross and track so have to remove mine at least once a month.