FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Parasitic electric draw from hazard/turn signals. Help?

Post Thanks / Like

Parasitic electric draw from hazard/turn signals. Help?

I have a 67 mili-amp draw off the battery or so my digital multimeter says.

I made long connectors to go to my battery which is in my trunk to my multimeter which I laid down under my steering wheel. My fuse block is located under my speedometer.

If I take out either of the round thermo (silver in color and look like a stack of 6 quarters) relays going to the hazards or turn signals the parasitic draw drops to almost nothing.
    I believe I have a painless wiring harness which has written on the wires where they go....at least they did when I built the car.

All my hazards, turn signals, marker lights and headlights work as they should which puzzles me. If there is a short in the system wouldn't one of those not work?

Can you guys give me a list of things to check?

I have a test light and a digital multimeter.
    Before I built this Factory Five Car about the most I ever did was wire up my Dad's boat trailer when I was a teen and maybe a brake job and oil changes so please be descriptive when helping me.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you replace either flasher you get the draw but have to pull both to get it to 0v?

Checking the amps, you can "jumper" where the flasher goes with the meter and should be able to see the draw. Also can check across the switch with it off!

Start disconecting bulbs untill the draw goes away, then work backwards from there checking the wireing. Dont forget the dash indicators!
    Also, you can disconnect the switches and check the draw.
    I dont have a wireing diagram so this is just general ideas!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

3. Thanks Tifford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I should have added, when you work with the bulbs, both headlights are on one circuit the left side and right side of the flashers are on there separate circiuts, so it will take a little logic on what you are getting when testing, pulling one bulb may not make a difference untill you pull the other on that wire. Dont forget the dash indicators.

Did you work on the diodes between the hazard and flashers?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds strange that pulling "either" of them stops the drain. One is powered all the time and one is powered with the key on.
    probe where they plug in and look for the one that is on all the time and start there. flashers work by heating up a metal strip that bends when it get hot. Maybe they always draw a bit of power.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also try replacing the flasher relays with non-resistor type relays.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I will hopefully work on this Tuesday if I'm not stuck for overtime.