BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coupe LED Tail Lights: I must have missed something.

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coupe LED Tail Lights: I must have missed something.

I am circling back to electrical work on my build. I installed all lights, but never got around to ensure that they all worked and are wired properly. I assume that I have taking a wrong turn somewhere so maybe someone can help. I took my first LED tail light that came with the kit, changed the connector to a waterproof connector, and then connected it to the rear harness. I connected the ground, the tail light wire, and the brake wire. When I turned on my headlights, the low-intensity light worked. Then when I pressed the brakes, the low-intensity light went out and there was no light from the tail light. I took my foot off the brake and the low-intensity light came back on. I disconnected the wires and got out my Power Probe. I tested the wires at the tail light and I got the low-intensity light to come on a few times and then it stopped illuminating all together. The brighter brake light never illuminated. Then I pulled out another tail light, removed the connector and tested with the Power Probe and I get nothing at all. I am sure I did something wrong, but not sure what.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this is the cause for confusion, but the LED lights are different than the rest of the world, and the White is the ground.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron is correct. On those lights, white = ground, black = +12V low intensity, red = +12V high intensity. I too have found that many LED lights come with white as ground. Sometimes marked. Others times, like this one, not.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Humbled again. Thank you for the education. Magically. everything works as advertised when white is the ground.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

5. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post