FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS3 PCV clean air connection

Post Thanks / Like

LS3 PCV clean air connection

On ls376 what port to you use for clean air port?

There was nothing in my manual about this connection, but looks like in update manual have some notes below.

Is this the port on front passenger side? how did you guys route this?

notes from newer manuals.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation System (PCV)
    How to set up your PCV system:
    There are two ports on the engine that make up the PCV system. The
    ports on the engine are:
    1) Left rear (driver side) valve cover.
    2) Top center of the inlet manifold.
    The ports with silver tubes may look simple but, they should not be
    modified. The tubes have a small orifice within them that is used in
    place of a PCV valve of earlier designs.
    There is one fresh air port which is on the front of the right (passenger
    side) valve cover. Again this is a silver tube that faces forward on the
    valve cover. This port should be connected to filtered clean air. This
    connection must be within the engines air cleaner system and must be
    between the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) and engine’s throttle body.
    The engine burns the air that enters the PCV system so, if the fresh air
    port is prior to the MAF then, this air will enter the engine w ithout being
    measured by the MAF and adverse engine operation may occur.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mostafa

I have the same port on the front of my LS3 also but there is another connection that when they built my motor was marked for the fresh filter air connection to the block. I have attached a picture and you can see it is tied into the CAI after the air filter, the connection is hard to find it is under the wiring for the coil packs for each cylinder so you cannot see it but I outlined the area so you know where to look. I went from host to tubing and back to hose to make the connection. I do not have a PVC valve set up on my motor set up and the front port you are showing is just capped of on my motor. Hope this helps, this is the way I did it but sure there are other ways as well.

IMG_2047.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The PCV system works as follows. Fresh air is drawn from a fresh air port between the MAF and throttle body. You may have to create this port if you are making your own intake system. This is filtered clean air that has already been measured by the MAF and before the throttle body so there is no manifold vacuum created yet. This air is directed to a valve cover allowing fresh air to enter the valve cover and then the engine block. The port in the top of the valley is routed to a port on the vacuum side of the throttle body with a hose containing an orifice of about 2.5mm. There are variations of this that include multiple tubes connected with a tee then through an orifice to the vacuum side of the throttle body but the principle is the same. Metered (2.5mm orifice) crankcase air is drawn into the manifold by routing clean air through the block then burned in the combustion process. It is very common and desirable to place a catch can in the line from the valley cover to the vacuum side of the throttle body. The catch can will separate out some of the oil keeping the manifold from getting yucky with goo. Hope this helps.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    what engine do you have in picture?

what are the two red filter caps?

I think I found the port, the direction say "There is one fresh air port which is on the front of the right (passenger side) valve cover" but in my car this is moved over the driver side that I had forgotten since i did this a long time ago.

in your setup, this is facing to front on driver side, while mine is facing back same side.

Any easy/clean way to connect air intake without welding?

Thank,
    Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Mostafa

My engine is an LS3 (L376) that has been built to get 585HP and the red caps you are looking at and I outlined in blue are just a filter in lieu of installing the complicated carbon filter system. They are connected to the fuel tank vents (vent and roll over valves on the top of the fuel tanks) as they help keep the fumes down verses just venting to atmosphere.

Yes you are correct the connection I used is on the drivers side and facing toward the cockpit, that is why I had to make the look to get back to the air intake tube to get filtered fresh air.

If you look at the picture, I marked in blue the fitting I used to make the connection to air intake tube. It does not required welding, it has a gasket that seals the hole and shaped to fit the 3" tube so it just screws in and tightens up again the air intake tube. It has a 3/4" female tubing thread so I had to get another fitting to get it down to the size (3/8") of the hose connection. If I could remember just where I got it I would let you know but for the life of me I cannot seem to remember. Think it was from one of the places that sell silicone turbo hose and parts but again really not sure, but it worked great.

IMG_2047.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking time for this, did you connect to engine side by one of GM quick connect ( 10.2mm or so) or hose and clamp?

Thanks,
    Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used a hose clamp to attach the hose to the engine, there was a stop on the tube so it would only slip on so far but plenty f room for a clamp to that is what I did, it worked great and a lot simpler to get on and off that the GM connector since it is hard to reach under all the coil pack wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks James, my PCV clean air seems to point toward rear of the car, so connection should be nice a short, I will just use clamps as suggested for now.

Thanks,
    Mostafa