Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Hydroboost help!

Post Thanks / Like

Hydroboost help!

I bought a new 2000 Hydroboost Booster. The low pressure out hose barb hole is a smooth bore and I have been told there is a plate I am missing that allows a barb to be screwed in? I have been to the wreckers and up here it is impossible to find a mustang GT, they don't make it into the yard. This is holding up my first start, does anyone have detailed info on this "plate", there is little to no onfo on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    If i could not find the info i was loking for, i would go to the ford dealer parts department and have them pull it up and take a look at what they show!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

3. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just Puttering, Yep that's my next step although I am concerned that it won't be available or orderable. I was hoping someone on the forum might have an alternative/mod if I can't find the correct part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Cannot find this distribution block anywhere so far, I went to ford and was told it is obsolete and no one makes them but at least I have the break down of it, I have multiple feelers out for anyone locally parting out a GT but so far no luck. Our local wreckers never get these GT's in their yards as they are to valuable and get diverted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics would help to identify what part you are looking for. I have a '98 Mustang Cobra hydroboost unit on my car.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    GJXT6571.JPG this is the part I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing of the kind on my unit unless it is the brake line distribution block?

Hydroboost.JPG
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    No its not on the master cylinder, it is on the booster itself. Came on the 99-04 units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked with these guys? http://www.hydratechbraking.com/. I doubt they have the exact Ford piece you're looking for. But when I did hydroboost on my #7750 build, they had the fitting I needed I think for the same connection you're trying to make. Just throwing it out there.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

11. Thanks SDhemmings thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what Edward said. I used them for my Hydroboost, works perfectly. Give them a call,they will help you.

Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Thanks SDhemmings thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I have reached out to them to see if they can help, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the answer but, do you NEED it? I'm not sure why Ford changed the porting from the booster like that, but as long as the booster has accessible ports for high pressure in, high pressure out and low pressure return, I'd think you can make it work. The booster's themselves aren't made by Ford, just adapted for their use. Sometimes items like the block you're looking for is required due to a change in accessory routing, engine clearance issue or some other hardware change that necessitated a re-orientation of the ports and the fittings that go into them.

My 96 Cobra hydrobooster and ports are depicted in attached photo. The low pressure return line is the one with the gold colored bolt head in the centre.

booster fittings 1.jpg

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, I² electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

16. Thanks SDhemmings thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sean, the low pressure out port on my booster is a smooth bore, no threads that I can see but I will check again, I have considered just tapping the threads myself, just don't want to screw up a nice new booster.

Post Thanks / Like
    That port caused me lots of grief! I had the same smooth bore setup that you had on my '96 unit and wanted to switch it out for the AN-styled fittings. The thread size going into the hydroboost unit is 5/16-24, and is pretty small. I found mine on eBay because the cost of some of the other sources was a bit excessive, or the shipping cost was crazy. I don't have my car on the road yet as I am getting ready to swap the engine, but the fitting is perfect - you just have to be careful not to crank it down too tight because its a pretty small fitting and you could easily break it. (Remember, it's low pressure so it shouldn't be a leak magnet.)
    Mk 3.1, "Stock" 306 w/ Trickflow Top End, 4-into-4 headers, full MSD ignition, T-5, 3-Link, Ron Francis wiring all around, Autometer Ultralights, RT turn signal and gas pedal, NorthRaceCars A/C, heated seats, Hydroboost PS/PB (Brembo/Baer 13" combo), ABS, SAI mod, VPM sway bars, dual roll bars, dropped trunk, center console, APE hardtop, trick camera setup...too much time and $$$...one day she'll get painted! Delivered 8/05, first start 3/16/06, Go Kart 6/1/06, Titled & registered 7/21/08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you tap it yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shack, do you have the part number and/or where you got it from? I took a much closer look at that low pressure out port and I could not see any threads at all, unless they are deep in side and the fitting is like a banjo type and goes all the way in? Just trying everything before I go tapping it my self.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me a while but I finally found the link for what I bought. It is a 5/16-24 to -6AN adapter with O-ring. I removed the OEM low pressure port and replaced it with this in order to go all braided stainless steel lines. Here's the ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/23194341405...m=231943414053
    HB low pressure adapter.jpg

Here is the stock low pressure port that I removed, which is different from the one you show in the diagram but serves the same purpose. Ford seems to have used different low pressure fittings on various model year Mustangs for whatever reason. (The photos from the other guys on this thread give you a little insight into that.) On the fitting that I removed, you can see the threaded section isn't very long and the threads are pretty small. The center hex-head bolt is what unscrews the fitting from the low pressure port. The other end of the port had threaded fittings for the stock hoses. I hated all that spaghetti so I cleaned it up with the braided SS lines which looks kind of bling, but really let me custom route my hoses without having to take them to a shop. I ended up remaking them a couple of times before I was happy with it, which is a nice thing about the Russell fittings since they are reusable.
    HB low pressure port 1.jpg
    HB low pressure port 2.jpg

Hope that helps!
    Shack
    Last edited by shackf16; 10-02-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    Mk 3.1, "Stock" 306 w/ Trickflow Top End, 4-into-4 headers, full MSD ignition, T-5, 3-Link, Ron Francis wiring all around, Autometer Ultralights, RT turn signal and gas pedal, NorthRaceCars A/C, heated seats, Hydroboost PS/PB (Brembo/Baer 13" combo), ABS, SAI mod, VPM sway bars, dual roll bars, dropped trunk, center console, APE hardtop, trick camera setup...too much time and $$$...one day she'll get painted! Delivered 8/05, first start 3/16/06, Go Kart 6/1/06, Titled & registered 7/21/08.

22. Thanks SDhemmings thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shack, yes that helps but unfortunately I don't have any threads to work with at all. I have a tap and will make some threads and put in a hose nipple that I got off a f350 with hydroboost that was in the wreckers. I didn't want to do that but its the best solution at this point.

24. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's kind of crazy that there are no threads in that low pressure return fitting. Guess Ford's quality control missed that one! My only other thought is to check with the Hydratech Braking folks mentioned above. I did call them and ask a few questions of them before I pulled the trigger on my current setup - even though I didn't actually buy any parts from them. The guy I spoke with was very knowledgeable and they may have a source for the plate you need, or can give you some confidence in your decision to tap it yourself. Sorry that this thread didn't get you exactly what you needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shack, Yeah this seemed pretty weird and there was little to no info on it. I did contact the Hydratech guys and unfortunately they were unable to help. I ended up tapping the port myself and installing the hose barb I had, should work fine as it is low pressure. Thanks for your help though.

Post Thanks / Like
    If nothing else, this just became a resource for the next guy who has the same problem...