FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Covering transmission tunnel cover with vinyl any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Covering transmission tunnel cover with vinyl any tips?

Hi, I looking to cover my transmission tunnel cover with vinyl and some closed cell 1/8" high density auto upholstery Volara foam. I've riveted the shiftier cover plate on and when i place the foam and vinyl over it i still feel the rivets and the indent where the cover plate is. Are there any tips and tricks any of you have done to keep the rivets and recess from printing through? It would be nice not to feel these things. Photo attached of what I'm working with. Thank you, Tim

IMG_5617.JPG
    Mk4 Complete Kit delivered 5/2019, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood F/R, Power steering, Halibrand 17” X 9” Front 17” X 10.5” Rear, Nitto NT555 G2 F/R

Post Thanks / Like
    FFMetal sells a solid replacement top with no holes. It is made out of thicker materials for $84.00. This should solve your problem. I have also heard guys changing to counter sunk rivets, add a filler panel, and a light coat of bondo before covering works too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Stand View Post
    FFMetal sells a solid replacement top with no holes. It is made out of thicker materials for $84.00. This should solve your problem. I have also heard guys changing to counter sunk rivets, add a filler panel, and a light coat of bondo before covering works too.
    Thanks. I'll check out FFMetal. Not sure about bondo and the special rivets. Thanks again.
    Mk4 Complete Kit delivered 5/2019, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood F/R, Power steering, Halibrand 17” X 9” Front 17” X 10.5” Rear, Nitto NT555 G2 F/R

Post Thanks / Like
    When we do a vinyl covered panel on the top of the trans tunnel it gets the F5R supplied top. The carpet gets lapped over the top of the tunnel an inch or so on each side and then a piece of hardboard (masonite) is cut to the same shape as the tunnel top. We attach automotive push fasteners that insert through drilled hole in the aluminum tunnel top to hold the cover to the aluminum. The hardboard cover get padding and vinyl. The automotive push fasteners allow the hardbord panel to be removable with no visible fasteners and make recovering the top a breeze when the vinyl wears out of becomes faded.

5. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Likes tbl100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I initially did my cover in vinyl, but had some issues with the adhesive I used, gassing up, and causing air pockets. I had to tear all off, and just used carpet.
    Glad I did now, as I rest my right arm on the tunnel top sometimes, and in the heat of the summer sun, I think the vinyl would be to darn hot.

7. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep your arm off of it if it’s sunny out!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at edwardb's 20th anniversary thread. He did something slick as usual that resolved this using the FFR supplied tunnel.
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

10. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I drilled my cover for the seat heater switches, I realized they were in the wrong location. I used a piece of aluminum on the back side and some flush-head rivets and a bit of body filler to repair the holes and retain a completely smooth top surface.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    When I drilled my cover for the seat heater switches, I realized they were in the wrong location. I used a piece of aluminum on the back side and some flush-head rivets and a bit of body filler to repair the holes and retain a completely smooth top surface.
    I didn't know about flush blind rivets. The body filler looks like it worked well. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Search for counter sink rivets. I think I got them on McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/countersunk...-blind-rivets/
    Last edited by Papa; 11-13-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

14. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't cut the vinyl for the stick yet. Its a little changed from the original. Did away with the blast gates on the footwell vents. Removed their pulls from the upper section & recovered it. Added two twin dual range outlet USB ports to the trans cover, Removed the small extinguisher bottle from the trans cover & mounted it on the rear bulkhead between the seats.

Original top now covered with thin foam padding in a fabric store vinyl that matches the new dash which has donated FFR material on it.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

16. Likes tbl100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Search for counter sink rivets. I think I got them on McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/countersunk...-blind-rivets/

I have some of those rivets. They're a good solution to this problem but I found them to be very finicky to install. The head is tiny so they're super-sensitive to both the hole and the countersink being exactly the right size. Even a little too big and the rivet pulls right through.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess my solution was a combination of some. I decided to make a filler piece to fill the void and glued it to the cover piece that was riveted from the back side. Then i removed the rivets and glued the patch to the tunnel cover from the back side. Hope it stays put. Seems very strong. Thank you again for all the replies.

image0.jpeg