BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Live Axle Rear Wheel Spacer Width

Post Thanks / Like

Live Axle Rear Wheel Spacer Width

I'm considering 25 mm rear wheel spacers for my Gen 3 Type 65 with an SN95 live axle - wondering if anyone has that setup. It looks like IRS guys are using 25 mm; I'm not sure about the difference in width between IRS and live axle. It'd be easier to deal with 35 mm (no need to trim studs) but it seems like that might be too wide. Thoughts/experience/ideas appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just get wheels with a proper backspacing to work with the hub positions? I don't mind spacers for minor clearance issues, but when you start getting into 1"+ widths, I would go back to the wheels. A lot of wheel manufacturers will make you a wheel with a custom backspace.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, Papa. I'm sorry but my question wasn't worded very well. I should have included - I'm using the FFR provided Halibrand replica wheels with recommended backspacing, 17” X 9” Front and 17” X 10.5” rear. I really like the wheels and have tires mounted on them already. The current look and fit are acceptable; no interference or rubbing but I think it would look better with a slightly wider track.

Post Thanks / Like
    mnancar; I am looking at the same situation and have not received my Gen 3 kit yet so I can't tell how much backspace is needed. I also have the 17" x 9" front and 10.5" rear Halibrand wheels coming with the recommended tire sizes and was wondering what your solution turned out to be? I would like the tires to fill the wheel well and not look like they are set back in. I agree that the wider track look better. Pics would help. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    MAHunt, I used these and I'm happy with the result: Eibach 25mm Pro-Spacer Hubcentric Wheel Spacers (94-14 All). I had to trim the studs but it was easy using a hacksaw with fresh blade. The car is currently away being painted - sorry I can't provide a better image.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be interesting to learn what track others have on theirs.

I have a Gen 2 with a rear axle assembly out of a 1994 Mustang so 3/4" on each side wider than a Fox Body with the FFR Halibrands as well. I am considering adding spacers to the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    The IRS set up is the same width as a Fox axle,(set up for the Roadster) the SN95 is wider. You can't use the same spacer as an IRS car on a non-IRS car unless you have a Fox width axle. I would get the body on first and see how it looks before getting spacers.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    mnancar; Thanks for the input. Car looks great BTW