Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hot rod pedal positions

Post Thanks / Like

Hot rod pedal positions

There's a thread going on in Roadster.. and rather than jump in there (which may be completely different pedal setup, I don't know, I wanted to have the conversation here too.

[Moderators feel free to merge/delete if that other thread is sufficient]

Right now, I have a brand-new go-kart, so I haven't done much more than make it all work, but ergonomics are probably way off. My clutch and brake pedals are level, but quite high from chassis, so they don't hit. The standard carburetor throttle pedal that I'm using for now is way lower - 4-5" lower. That seems to agree with other thread in concept - "the throttle is forward of the brake" - but wasn't sure on the size of that gap.

Does anyone have pictures of hotrod pedals on a well-setup driver that uses a clutch and carb-throttle? I understand the coyote, drive-by-wire could be quite different.

pedal-positions.jpg
    Last edited by RoadRacer; 05-04-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    One more data point, FWIW, I looked in our daily drivers, and all had the throttle pedal 2-3" below the brake.
    Last edited by RoadRacer; 05-04-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    One more data point, FWIW, I looked in our daily drivers, and all had the throttle pedal 2-3" below the brake.
    Yup...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it largely comes down to personal preference and the size of your feet. I ended up making a bracket so I could mount the throttle pedal on the frame and designed it to have some adjustability in each direction as needed. I have big feet and getting the pedal placement just right is going to be critical. If you want to be able to heel and toe while down shifting the throttle pedal usually needs to be close to the height of the brake during firm braking.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a matter of personal preference, what feels right and works for the driver. Personally, I like my accelerator pedal and brake pedal on the same plane at rest and close together as this is easier for me to heel & toe OR if going from the accelerator to the brake with your right foot I don't want to lift my heel, just swing my toe or when using the brake while blipping the throttle, use the side of my foot. Of course this can vary slightly as the length of stroke on the brake pedal can make you adjust this slightly so leave some adjustment in the throttle pedal to dial this in. Use an adjustable stop on the accelerator pedal so you don't over extend the accelerator linkage.

For me, the clutch pedal can be even with the others or higher, I can adapt but the brake and accelerator work better for me when at the same height. But I vary my use of the clutch and brake pedal with my left foot, I find it much faster and more controlled when using my left foot for braking IF not downshifting such as is common on bull ring dirt tracks.

Then on my drag car, my brake pedal is only used with my left foot (auto trans) and is positioned where the clutch pedal would normally be as is the most common position for a drag racer.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build