BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: New headlight help

Post Thanks / Like

New headlight help

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out this wiring. Have 3 wires coming out of new led headlights and 5 wires from wire harness. I can get the what I think is high beams to work with the black and red connected with the headlight switch pulled all the way out and switch flipped. But if flip the switch the other way while leaving the knob pulled out I lose light all together. Can not get the park light to come on either. I am attaching pictures to help explain my setup

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not using the FFR fuse panel/wiring but here is the "headlight" wire function/color I used.
    Black = ground
    Yellow = Low Beam
    Blue = High Beam
    Green = Turn
    Red = Park
    In my wiring scheme the white parking light bar is on when the car ignition is on. When the turn signal is actuated the white bar turns amber.

3. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the help Kamp!! I now am able to get high and low beams to work but can not get the white bar in the middle of the headlight to come on for the park light. I looked at the rear tail lights also and do not have parking lights on there either. With the light switch pulled out to the first detent for parking lights I do not have any power there. If I continue to pull to low beams there work perfectly but still no parking light power on the tan wires. I rang the wires for power on the back side of the switch when set on parking light detent( as shown in picture) any ideas why I do not have power on the tan wires or possibly a bad switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did test the headlight to ensure the park light was good by using the low beam power and testing it. When I used the low beam wire from the chassis harness and connected it to the park light headlight wire the bar in the middle turned bright white ( I had the headlight switch pulled all the way out to the second detent for this test)

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have +12 on the light switch terminal 4 when you pull the knob out? Also do you get any turn signal indication?

On the tail lights you only have three leads, a ground, brake/turn and running lights. I'm not using FFR tail lights but I don't think they have a "parking light" function.

What I ended up doing to power the white bar was run a separate fused circuit to them, so they are on when the ignition switch is on.
    Its been a while since I did this so guessing I wasn't able to do this threw the headlight switch.

Make sure you have 12V on the two switch power input terminals, easy to blow a fuse when your messing around !
    Last edited by Kamp; 09-30-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kamp, thank you for your help!!!!!!! I now have all lights working. I had 12 volts on the terminals except for the parking lights. I only had 3 volts there. I thought maybe since they are the new LED headlights that it required less voltage for the small parking lights. I traced the circuit and did not see a resistor anywhere so I followed it all the way to the fuse panel. Low and behold a bad fuse. Jeez, so I feel like I wasted a lot of time chasing a fuse. Once again thank you!

8. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah so glad I could help get them going. I personally think the new LED lights are uber cool. I wanted my white bars on as a heads up for other cars, kinda like some of the new OEM cars are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMAN View Post
    I did test the headlight to ensure the park light was good by using the low beam power and testing it. When I used the low beam wire from the chassis harness and connected it to the park light headlight wire the bar in the middle turned bright white ( I had the headlight switch pulled all the way out to the second detent for this test)
    Jeman,
    Can you tell me what brand you are using so I can check them out?

Thanks, Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger these are headlights now supplied from FFR, not sure when the change was made, my kit was 1043. I have seen them advertised but can't remember where. Youi can probably get them from FFR though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same and have it wired so the white strip acts as a DRL.
    20200405_155458.jpg
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

13. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post