Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: about to order my kit and need advice on a few options...

Post Thanks / Like

about to order my kit and need advice on a few options...

Just sold my Harley and now making my complete list for the build and other options not part of FFR. I will be ordering the complete kit and using the Coyote Gen II and TKO 600, IRS rear and regular brakes (not willwood).

FFR list of options and part# and what do I need?

15945 Mustang IRS manual drive shaft adapter (need)

which exhaust set up do I need for this coyote engine?
    33920 headers & 15442 J pipes & 16811 full length headers?

16863 coyote installation kit: includes accelerator install and fitment kits (need)

if using 18" wheels then the rear 13" rear brakes will work? But if I use 17" wheels I need the 11.65" rear brakes?

If I want to use the Forte Hydraulic clutch, that be ordered with the transmission plus the bell housing?

Extra optionsfrom Breeze:
    fan shroud
    lower radiotor mount
    fuel pump (in tank)
    fuel vent
    steering wheel quick disconnect
    led exterior lighting

Moroso oil pan
    leather door panels from Herb
    Quicktime bell housing
    triple fluid resivor from CNC if there is any still in stock

I appreciate everyone's feed back and your time to read.

Justin

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Justin,

Looks like you've got the bases covered for a really nice car.
    My only suggestion is to get the full length headers and to check out Edwardb's Build Threads, specifically his last MK-4.
    Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five will walk you through the options when you call and place your order. Of course helps to know the options, but they will guide you through it. Plus don't panic if you change your mind. You can add/subtract to your order right up to where it goes into production and you pay for everything. They even make this final review part of the process.

- For the IRS adapter, as it says, depends on the IRS center section you use. Are you buying the one from Factory Five (16668)? If so, they would know which adapter you need.

- For the exhaust, your options are J-Pipes and headers (33920 & 15442) OR full length straight tube headers (16811, assuming you don't want/need CATs). Highly recommend the straight tube setup. Ask about their new design headers with ball swivels. I assume that's what they'd provide for this part number. And again, this is something they would talk you through when ordering.

- I'd recommend the 16863 Coyote installation kit. It's a little expensive for what it is (my opinion...) and likely there will be parts you don't use. But it has some fabricated parts that make it worth buying.

- The Forte hydraulic clutch version will depend on transmission and bell housing. You mention TKO600 and QuickTime bell. With that info, Mike will know which version to provide. BTW, highly recommend the QuickTime RM-6080 non-SFI version. The SFI version is larger and has some fitment issues plus hangs below the frame. A number of builders have learned this the hard way.

You don't mention power steering, so I'll just encourage you to consider it. Debated a lot, and I've had both. Won't build without it. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got old school Dart V8 and carb and straight axle, so don't know anything about the new mod motors, EFI or IRS.

But I have and use the heater a fair amount, even in Southern California. It works very well. I even use the seat heaters some. I have and use the stereo every drive. Freeway driving it doesn't work very well, but town driving I love it. The Breeze roll bar is a nice touch (I have the stainless, polished, but not sure if that's available anymore.). I don't have wipers. Only had one drive where the fog was misty enough to collect on the windshield. Otherwise never needed them. Love the power steering. I did the Breeze forward battery mount as well, and like it. Aftermarket things like Alex's wheel well liners, Herb's door panels, ********** accessories, etc. can be added later at your leisure or desire.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

5. Likes rezell3d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely get the full length headers. I have j-pipes and its one of the only things I would do differently.
    Several of us have had issues with the j-pipes cracking
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the many great things I learned from my father was to overbuild everything. Always build it stronger than it really needs to be. You won't be disappointed, and you have easy room for expansion and "upgrades" later on. With that thought in mind:

-- long tube headers. They will not produce much more (if any) power compared to the shorty's. But if you decide to add a blower in 3-4 years, you'll be ready.
    -- Have the entire exhaust ceramic coated with the best coating you can find.
    -- Spring for the Wilwoods. You won't be disappointed.
    -- As said above, consider power steering. Be sure to include a fluid cooler.
    -- Along with the shroud, install the biggest radiator you can find. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's worth every penny.

Pay careful attention to the Coyote cooling system. It's complicated. If you install a hose backwards, you'll have trouble.
    -- You'll need one of these: https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...nk-0510gt.html
    -- And I recommend this: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing....roducts_id=439
    -- Read this: https://www.diyford.com/ford-coyote-...ormance-guide/

Be careful about LED lighting. I think changing the bulbs to LED's is a really smart idea. Especially the headlamps. The stock halogen headlamps are really horrible. But I don't like changing the entire fixture to what is obviously modern LED's. It really change the look and character of the car; and I'm not very keen on it. But that really is just personal preference.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    No I did not mention power steering but YES I will be adding that option from FFR.

I'm in Texas so I do not plan to have the heater but heated seats is yes. We have no issue wearing a jacket till it's warm enough to take that off while driving around. Been doing that with the Harley. But I do plan to use boat blowers to vent the footboxes during the summer and will look into making dual intake to make it pull heated air in the engine bay during the winter time and slightly cooler air outside during the summer.

Edwardb
    "(16811, assuming you don't want/need CATs). Highly recommend the straight tube setup. Ask about their new design headers with ball swivels."

correct, no need for CAT's here in Texas so straight tub and I do recall seeing a yourtube that they are making a new ball swivel for adjust the pipes and I do want that.

Bob Cowan
    fluid cooler for the power steering? I'm just daily driving this car...no track. just driving it to work on Friday's and here and there on nice weekends. Not much of a cash flow to throw down on Wilwoods at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    The guys pretty much covered you but let me just pile on RE: Coyote J pipes...after having 3 or 4 cars come through here with them, please, just don't. They seriously choke the engine and dramatically change the sound (not in a good way). Money well spent to go with the long tubes from FFR or Gas-N.

Good luck with the build

Post Thanks / Like
    Long tubes it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The guys pretty much covered you but let me just pile on RE: Coyote J pipes...after having 3 or 4 cars come through here with them, please, just don't. They seriously choke the engine and dramatically change the sound (not in a good way). Money well spent to go with the long tubes from FFR or Gas-N.

Good luck with the build

Post Thanks / Like
    Without a heater, you have a choice of adding a glove box dash. It's not an additional single addition, it's a different dash. Check them out.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J Bell View Post
    Bob Cowan
    fluid cooler for the power steering? I'm just daily driving this car...no track. just driving it to work on Friday's and here and there on nice weekends. Not much of a cash flow to throw down on Wilwoods at this time.
    Absolutely. PS fluid can get really hot in normal around town driving. That's a bad thing. Placing a cooler in the low pressure line is pretty cheap (<$30) and makes a huge difference in performance and longevity. There's a reason Ford installs a cooler at the factory.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be building the roadster MK4 complete kit. I'm used to riding the Harley in heat. but June/July/August I only ride the bike early mornings and done by noonish. Not only that, but hottest part of summer we spend all our time at the lake house.

I will want the glove box but I saw someone cut their own dash and I will be doing the same and blending the dash to meet the transmission tunnel. I have access to a plasma table so I will be doing some custom fab work. glove box will be custom similar to someone else on here I saw make their own.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I order the kit in the next few months, will this have the newer trunk lid where they raised the trunk license plate mount so there is no need to cut the plate to fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be building the roadster MK4 complete kit. I'm used to riding the Harley in heat. but June/July/August I only ride the bike early mornings and done by noonish. Not only that, but hottest part of summer we spend all our time at the lake house.

I will want the glove box but I saw someone cut their own dash and I will be doing the same and blending the dash to meet the transmission tunnel. I have access to a plasma table so I will be doing some custom fab work. glove box will be custom similar to someone else on here I saw make their own.
    Of course you're asking about a Roadster not a Coupe. Brain cramp on my part. Deleted my off topic post. Hear about lots of A/C equipped Roadsters your direction. But sounds like you have it covered. You have lots of options for a glovebox and sounds like you're equipped to do something there too.

If I order the kit in the next few months, will this have the newer trunk lid where they raised the trunk license plate mount so there is no need to cut the plate to fit?
    Good question for Factory Five when you order. I doubt anyone here knows. I sure don't. I understand the newer body will be the standard going forward. But don't know when the cut-in is beyond the 25th anniversary models.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-30-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

Good question for Factory Five when you order. I doubt anyone here knows. I sure don't. I understand the newer body will be the standard going forward. But don't know when the cut-in is beyond the 25th anniversary models.
    Back in June Dave told me that the revised trunk lid had just started shipping on ALL roadsters however I have not seen a recent non-Anniversary car to say with certainty whether that is the case.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to consider the vintage gauge upgrade from FFR I started out with the Auto Lite gauges and then sent them back for the vintage ones.

Also from Breeze consider the fan shroud to improve air flow through the radiator

Good luck with your build

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Justin,

Are you planning on a crate motor or are you thinking about a salvage motor. We have found very low milage Gen II Coyote's (<10k miles) are readily available from Midway Mustangs. Last time we purchased from them was about 2 years ago, however, we only paid about $6800 for the motor, MT-82 transmission (Mustang), rear end, rear uprights, and brakes. We offer a top load sifter kit if you are interested.

We only use full length headers.

We purchased the coyote installation kit and didn't use most of it. The only thing that we used were the engine mount spacer. Subsequently we fabricated our own and like them a bit better.

If you decide to use a doner engine/tranny, you can omit the drive shaft from your kit and FFR will give you credit for it. You'll have to get a drive shaft made to marry the tranny to the very close rear end from any drive shaft shop ~$600. We will be offering one sometime before the end of the year. We have the components designed...just need to get it scheduled into our machine shop.

Other items on your list look good.

One caution on the Moroso oil pan, we have purchased and used about a dozen, however, a friend of ours used one and a pressure sensitive label was stuck to the back side of the baffle (very hard to see), anyway the label came off during engine operation and obstructed the pickup. Driver ignored the zero oil pressure....smoked engine and a lot of finger pointing....Please learn from other's mistakes.

Good luck, feel free to contact me by phone if you would like to discuss anything.

Chris@FormaCars
    Chris

19. Likes Aircontroller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Justin,

Are you planning on a crate motor or are you thinking about a salvage motor. We have found very low milage Gen II Coyote's (<10k miles) are readily available from Midway Mustangs. Last time we purchased from them was about 2 years ago, however, we only paid about $6800 for the motor, MT-82 transmission (Mustang), rear end, rear uprights, and brakes. We offer a top load sifter kit if you are interested.

We only use full length headers.

We purchased the coyote installation kit and didn't use most of it. The only thing that we used were the engine mount spacer. Subsequently we fabricated our own and like them a bit better.

If you decide to use a doner engine/tranny, you can omit the drive shaft from your kit and FFR will give you credit for it. You'll have to get a drive shaft made to marry the tranny to the very close rear end from any drive shaft shop ~$600. We will be offering one sometime before the end of the year. We have the components designed...just need to get it scheduled into our machine shop.

Other items on your list look good.

One caution on the Moroso oil pan, we have purchased and used about a dozen, however, a friend of ours used one and a pressure sensitive label was stuck to the back side of the baffle (very hard to see), anyway the label came off during engine operation and obstructed the pickup. Driver ignored the zero oil pressure....smoked engine and a lot of finger pointing....Please learn from other's mistakes.

Good luck, feel free to contact me by phone if you would like to discuss anything.

Chris@FormaCars
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Post from awhile back on the triple CNC reservoir. They are long gone but here are some thoughts.....

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...638-CNC-Triple

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Kurt,

Is this the same one?

https://www.a1racing.com/cnc-brakes-...SABEgL7IfD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Post from awhile back on the triple CNC reservoir. They are long gone but here are some thoughts.....

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...638-CNC-Triple

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    That's the same part. Grab it if you want one and it's actually available. Unfortunately you may find that it's out of stock when you try to place an order. Lots of sites may not reflect accurate information on their inventory.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

24. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    X2 definitely call and check stock before you order it.....
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use stock 2015+ IRS 13.0 inch rear brake rotors with 17 inch wheels. You just need to slightly clearance the caliper.
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    check out https://www.epowersteering.com as well instead of the hydraulic unit - it's $650 (they can invoice you)

it's cheaper than the Coyote $1000+ setup and works with the manual steering rack - also, less parasitic drag, and one less fluid to check
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered buying a kit from someone who's life has become sooo busy, they don't have the time to finish it? Not sure this is still for sale. You'll have to check.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post373569
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Just sold my Harley and now making my complete list for the build.......
    Justin,
    Just a thought. I ordered my kit in 2017, right after the Sema car show. They "usually" run a sale during/after the Sema show. You might want to wait, or call and ask first. I ended up with 3k in free accessories.

30. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FF announced a FALL SALE.

Up to $3000. Don't know the details of "UP TO".