Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: A Type 65 Coupe Kit is coming to Manheim Pennsylvania

Post Thanks / Like

A Type 65 Coupe Kit is coming to Manheim Pennsylvania

Shhhhh, it is a secret. . . . (and NOT a solicitation for business etc)

My name is John Crispeno and I am the marketing manager at the Manheim Auto Auction in Pennsylvania. We are the founding and namesake auction of the much larger Manheim Auto Auction and Cox Automotive Inc with sister companies such as Autotrader.com and KBB.com to name a few.

My auction has partnered with the Make-A-Wish chapter here in south-east PA to host their Annual Mother's Day Truck Convoy featuring nearly 600 tractor-trailers, fire companies, etc. This event is their major fundraiser of the year that brings in over 75% of their wish funding in one-day!!! We are their new host after their original host backed out after 31 years and we couldn't be more excited. We definitely have the room for it all!

As the hosting location for their event, we also wanted to join in on the fundraising "fun" with an original and very unique idea for our wholesale auto auction industry. Build a Factory Five Type 65 Coupe and then auction it off with all the money going to Make-A-Wish. I know this is not the first time that a charity auction has been done with a factory-five vehicle but it will be our first time.

We contacted Dave Smith and his team about our idea and they have been super helpful. Our kit order has been placed and expected finish date is November 8th. The working idea is to build this car right in the middle of our auction lobby for all of our dealer clients to see our progress. We have a staff of over 1,300 people working with over 500,000 wholesale vehicles per year. We have mechanics and body shops and truckers on CB so we hope to use our industry talents to build this coupe and raise lots of money for Make-A-Wish.

In order to satisfy our concerns about creating a safe and fun vehicle, we have contracted with the fabulous Traveling Builder, Mark. Heck, he lives only 20 minutes away from us, how could we not tap into that knowledge base?

So in the meantime, I have been busy purchasing all of our tools, jack stands, etc that we will be using during our build. Yes, our mechanics have their own tools but their shop is a mile away on the other side of our lot. (Yes this place is huge) AND, we are going to auction off all these tools for Make-A-Wish as well!!!

We hope to document our build on this forum as well as some blog posting on our sister sites Autotrader.com and KBB.com. We will also host some facebook live videos and perhaps some youtube.

We hope you join us on our journey from delivery to auction day, which will be NO LATER than May 8, 2020.

Until the next update, Thank you.

John Crispeno

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...?ref=bookmarks

2. Thanks rdcyclist thanked for this post
    Likes rdcyclist, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few specs of our build.

Type 65 complete kit
    IRS supplied by FFR
    Wildwood brakes and double Koni's on the corners
    body cut-outs
    stock-seat delete for credit
    guage delete for credit
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine and 6-speed Transmission Combo kit from Ford Performance supplied by Summit Racing
    18x9's Halibrand replicas on the front
    18x11's Halibrand replicas on the rear
    All the A/C and steering stuff as additions or options to our kit purchase.
    Front Tires 295 /30 R18
    Rear Tires 315 /30 R18

This is the meat of the build and all the little things are also spec'd out as well.

If you wish to donate directly to Make-A-Wish in celebration of this event please feel free to follow this link: https://secure2.wish.org/site/TR/Int...hOK_1u3uteEEEQ

Post Thanks / Like
    What an excellent project— can't wait to watch the progress! Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was Build Day #1. Mark, the traveling builder, joined us for an busy day of body removal, instruction and drill-baby-drill on all the aluminum panels. Our team of mostly ASC mechanics and sprint car racers made quick work of the panels.

IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2506.JPG
    IMG_2507.JPG

Feel free to also visit our facebook page to watch any live videos (one already uploaded) and time lapse (coming soon).

Our goal is to complete this and auction it off on March 26th at our 75th Anniversary Xtreme Spring Charity Gala. The hammer drops and all that money goes right to our local chapter of Make-A-Wish.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...2216757088425/

Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, got the right guy helping!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to brag but when you have one of (if not) the largest reconditioning / body shops in United States (maybe the world) things get done! Our body team on the build has built their body buck and beginning their work.

IMG_2453.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that some builds are complete in garages and other common places. We are doing ours in the middle of our main lobby. Dealers from all of the country visit us on a weekly basis and can track our progress live every week. Certainly not doing any bodywork in the lobby but everything else is happening right here.

One challenge was moving the engine through the lobby without cracking any of our floortiles. My marketing team and I have cracked a few over the years since we park cars here all the time. The concern came from the steel wheels on the hoist or the pallet jacks. An industrial cart from Uline with pneumatic wheels to the rescue.

Here is our build area. I purchased all new tools, toolbox and work tables for the build. In the end, we are auctioning off the car and the tools/toolboxes to benefit Make-A-Wish.

IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG

10. Likes rdcyclist, shmelty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and who are we?? We are the flagship location of the Manheim Auto Auction Company. We are part of the larger Cox Automotive and Cox Enterprises based now in Atlanta, GA. This year marks our 75th year!!!

Here is a nice video if you are interested in learning a bit more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mus5BSw3Gck

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,

I will be following your build My son works freelance body repair at the Manheim site here in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.
    Good to hear you have sprint car guys on, as we are a sprint car family as well. Go Posse.

Troy
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

14. Thanks ManheimAutoAuction thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I noted that we are blessed with a huge body shop. They jumped on the bodywork/sanding super quick! Our paint color choice is the Lexus Indigo Ink. We are NOT doing any stripe or meatballs. Keeping it simple but nice!!!

IMG_9499.jpeg
    IMG_9500.jpeg
    IMG_9501.jpeg
    IMG_9502.jpeg

16. Likes rdcyclist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A little seam sanding video. This tool makes some quick work of these raised areas.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...686241/?type=1

18. Thanks rdcyclist thanked for this post
    Likes rdcyclist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In goes the engine and transmission. Alot of prep work to the front of the engine with the Vintage Air Conditioning kit etc.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...2980008323923/

Post Thanks / Like
    Floors are riveted and sealed. Great crew came in this morning to help us get ahead.

IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpgIMG_3781.jpgIMG_3782.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. Any particular reason you chose to cut the diagonal top-bar out of the transmission tunnel for shifter clearance, instead of flipping the red shifter plate around so that the shifter is in the forward position? (Technically that would be the middle of 3 total positions available on the T56. You have yours in the rearmost position, and there is yet another position further forward of the red rectangular plate but that requires some new parts to use.)

Just curious what shifter arrangement you plan to use. Not worried about the removal of the bar from a strength standpoint, this was covered ad nauseum on the Facebook page last week.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    To Logan's point, my Gen 3 Coupe/Coyote/Quicktime/T56 setup located the shifter perfectly with the rear shifter turned around to the front position. No frame cutting required and in the ideal location while sitting in the seat. Pictured below early in the build. While I'm posting, just an observation. Seems like the rivets are a little light in those pictures. Manual recommends every 2 inches between rivets panel-to-panel, and 3 inches between rivets into the frame. Looks more than that to me. Maybe OK, but not something I wouldn't personally shortcut. FWIW. Obviously, my picture was during early mockup, so zero rivets.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the feedback. Please stay tuned regarding the shifter location. Mark will be here tomorrow for another marathon workday. I will get his reasoning as to why he recommended to whack it. Might be a time constraint since this needs to be finished by Mid-March and extra parts etc could cause a delay.

Regarding the rivets, Mark will also inspect that work as this was done just this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Body shop update. The team is working hard and fast. The main body is in the booth for primer!!!! Hood needed a little more work.

IMG_6050.jpeg
    IMG_6049.jpeg
    IMG_6052.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ManheimAutoAuction View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. Please stay tuned regarding the shifter location. Mark will be here tomorrow for another marathon workday. I will get his reasoning as to why he recommended to whack it. Might be a time constraint since this needs to be finished by Mid-March and extra parts etc could cause a delay.
    No added parts required to reverse the rear shift location on either a TKO or T-56. Unbolt it. Pry it off. Turn it 180 degrees. Bolt it back on. Piece of cake.

A little surprised to see how far the body work has progressed without fitting up to the chassis. Door fit, hood fit, spoiler, etc. take some finesse and trimming. Also hope you know the body/doors need cutouts for the door frames and hinges, chassis, and muffler hangars. Also the rear hatch glass hinges. Cutouts for lights could be after body finishing, but not my personal choice. Hope it works out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    No added parts required to reverse the rear shift location on either a TKO or T-56. Unbolt it. Pry it off. Turn it 180 degrees. Bolt it back on. Piece of cake.

A little surprised to see how far the body work has progressed without fitting up to the chassis. Door fit, hood fit, spoiler, etc. take some finesse and trimming. Also hope you know the body/doors need cutouts for the door frames and hinges, chassis, and muffler hangars. Also the rear hatch glass hinges. Cutouts for lights could be after body finishing, but not my personal choice. Hope it works out.
    We are following Mark, the traveling builder's, plan and direction. I will inquire but I do know that once this chassis is a roller it is going to the body shop for fitment etc. Doors have been cut, body shop has cut out all the light but the rear tail. They were looking for a layout of the rear for exact placement.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are following Mark, the traveling builder's, plan and direction. I will inquire but I do know that once this chassis is a roller it is going to the body shop for fitment etc. Doors have been cut, body shop has cut out all the light but the rear tail. They were looking for a layout of the rear for exact placement.
    You’re in good hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    edwardb Mark came for another great day on Saturday. He raised a good point on cutting the bar near the shifter. . . He noted that you can't get all the bolts back in as one is right underneath the bar. However I see that you have some how installed said bolt. How did you work this magic? Did you drop your trans down or some other voodoo? It is obviously too late for us but teach us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday was another marathon workday plus last Wednesday evening.

Here is a review video . . . https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...7566434176365/

And some photos.
    IMG-2539.jpg
    IMG-2540.jpg
    IMG-2541.jpg
    IMG-2542.jpg
    IMG-2544.JPG
    IMG-2545.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    edwardb Mark came for another great day on Saturday. He raised a good point on cutting the bar near the shifter. . . He noted that you can't get all the bolts back in as one is right underneath the bar. However I see that you have some how installed said bolt. How did you work this magic? Did you drop your trans down or some other voodoo? It is obviously too late for us but teach us.
    No magic or voodoo. Once the engine and trans was in, I bolted the shifter back on the trans with the tail of the trans lowered slightly. Then raised it and installed the transmission mount. Not something that hopefully has to be done very often. I'm more comfortable taking the rear mount on and off than cutting the frame. That's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Build Update:

Today was a great day. I took before and after photos of the work. Often times it doesn't look like much but big things are always getting done.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...6386202600661/

And after the team left for the day.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...8089511116479/

Post Thanks / Like
    Very blessed to have such a great build team. Also want to drop EdwardB a big THANK YOU for his patience and answers as I message him about the finer details of his build. Bought a Boig upper cool pipe on Tuesday. Called Bob to check on the shipment and he really really was great. He talked me into the lower tube as well considering we were going to use the flexible tube meant for the top line. Amazingly nice man and very great friend of FFR builders. Thank you Bob!

So here is my walk around video after last night's work session. I do call the oil cap the oil filter. I am a dummy. https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...3276237051371/

We also posted a time lapse of our work. Notice how many great and knowledgeable volunteers we have working on this project! https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...9575281764235/

Stay tuned for some still photos.

33. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes rdcyclist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some still photos of our build session for 2/5

Our body shop is waiting for us to make it a roller and give up the chassis for a few days of body fitment.
    IMG_2598.JPG

Who knew a grown man could fit is such a small space.
    84995516_2928007230584564_4320157386565222400_n.jpg
    85160701_2928007167251237_7515944527480225792_n.jpg

At times we had too many people working in the same areas.
    84661423_2928007153917905_7875842875416641536_n.jpg

35. Likes rdcyclist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few more photos of the build. We have the radiator in. Boig Coolpipes arrived today. No less than 1 hour later Bob from Boig called me to ensure they arrived okay. Very nice guy.

I also ordered a PCM mount, so Glenn our wiring guru would have something nice to use when mounting the unit to the frame. Bought it from Midway Mustang for $89.00. Yes, some have made their own brackets but we are not set up to fabricate in our lobby nor have the time. Here is the link to what I purchased. I bought it on Friday and it arrived today via priority mail. https://midwaymustang.com/collection...racket-foxbody

A/C Dryer mounting
    IMG-2604.jpg

Glenn with his wiring harness
    IMG-2606.JPG

All these guys are working on different things. It got a little crowded upfront. Doug and Nick were bleeding the brakes, Willy was trying to mount the radiator and Glenn was working on his harness layout.
    IMG-2608.jpg

Tires mounted . . . we have a roller!
    IMG-2612.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was moving day. . .

We have the world's largest body shop / reconditioning facility or damn near close to it. Trouble is that it is located on the other end of our 500-acre property. So, a rollback was needed to make the delivery. The body shop will perform their test fitting, trimming, door fitment, and yadda yadda. They promise the chassis back by Friday. Then the body shop will start final paint.

Nick demonstrating how short this doggy is. Currently sitting at 45 inches to the top of the roll cage.
    IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

Empty space until Friday. Time to clean and vacuum a bit.
    IMG_2633.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Body and chassis come back together for some fitment and door alignment.

IMG_2640.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    What an amazing group of people working for Manheim Pennsylvania Auto Auction!!!! Here is an amazing video describing our progress on the fiberglass body through the primer phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=key0...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video! Very professional. Wish I had camera crew filming my build like that.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

41. Thanks ManheimAutoAuction thanked for this post
    Likes ManheimAutoAuction liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More great work completed by the Manheim Pennsylvania Auto Auction build team. Mark is back today to help our body shop team work on nose/hood fitment and doors. We also completed a tremendous amount of wiring on Saturday among other miscellaneous tasks.

I am going to post a link to a shaky video I took of our huge body shop to help you get a perspective on how huge this place is and the work they do on a daily basis.
    https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...1866516663957/

And here is our photo album of the build.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/ManheimP...o&__tn__=-UC-R

43. Thanks 7tvette thanked for this post
    Likes 7tvette liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-start check. . . . 1. Fuel pump ---check 2. Throttle body response ----check.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...8455737451423/

Post Thanks / Like
    And push it out into our auction lanes. Dial-up the fuel pressure to 55 psi. Five gallons of gas Turn the key and VROOOOOM!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...4392338503787/

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet V8 rumble! I’ve been on these forums for 10 years and it never gets old.
    Congrats on the milestone.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

47. Thanks ManheimAutoAuction thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mechanical side of the build team visited our body shop side of the build team. The body shop shot 6 layers of base coat and 3 layers of clear coat. Then baked it to perfection. Final body fitment this week. Dash went out to get covered. Chassis goes out for alignment on Monday. All the wiring is ready to meet up with their respective parts/lights/switches etc.

Here is the body in the booth.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...5590404209642/

Post Thanks / Like
    The build team has been super busy. Dash is covered and sitting here in my office. Wiring is 90% and just needs the little things completed. Bell housing was trimmed, alignment complete and ride height is set. The body is going on today!!!! Stay tuned for some sweet pictures.

Here is a quick slo-mo of the bell housing cutting.

https://www.facebook.com/ManheimPenn...5354745687683/

Post Thanks / Like
    AND WE ARE . . . . . Well the Covid-19 situation the build is moving forward but our charity event has been postponed. If you are ever looking for a job consider Manheim Auto Auctions and Cox Automotive. Boy, are they taking care of us employees during this weird time.

Carpet and vinyl console is going in by a local interior shop. Our partner Safelite was going to install the windshield today but ran into fitment issues. So, we took a pause to consult with Mark and this forum on how to tackle the issues.

With that said here is a video of the final stages of the body work for you to enjoy.

Part 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsYNQZsvBH4
    Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QcQvfM1IM4
    Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=key003RaJsc

Stay tuned.

51. Likes Mick40 liked this post